Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salon publishes a misleading article about soy milk page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Salon publishes a misleading article about soy milk

Primal Fuel
    I read salon.com regularly and usually enjoy the articles. They do seem to have the annoying habit of running vegan propaganda pieces that try to make untrue claims. The latest is

News flash: Soy milk doesn't come from cows in which it mocks a dairy farmers association for asking the FDA to crack down on the use of the word 'milk' in non dairy products. But it seems the point of the article was to promote soy milk. The author states:
    Soy milk is also, in many ways, healthier than regular milk -- it contains natural antioxidants called isoflavones, and is now often fortified with calcium -- and greener, with soy milk protein being 13 times more energy-efficient to produce than regular dairy protein
    can you count the number of wrong or misleading statements in that sentence?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm troll feeding here, but it disturbs me that supposedly respected outlets will run stuff like this. Articles like this is what leads to people trying to feed soy to babies.

A.M. Roots is offline Member
    I'm with ya, unfermented, processed soy consumed daily in everything: The Soy Saga!

trypsin enzyme inhibitor: gastric upset and poor amino acid uptake, inhibits growth in adolescents
    haemagglutinin: promotes blood clots
    goitrogen: thyroid disfunction, weight gain, chronic fatigue
    phytates: . . .Ugh!

Antinutrients and then some. And vegetarian feed for livestock is most likely fed tons of soybean. I have consumed so much of it ignorantly in my mere lifetime. I guess good effort goes into escaping it. I read recently limits have been lifted by the FDA on how much soy can be added to processed school lunch food. Something I don't understand is, doesn't it essentially cost more $$ to add extra product to food as oppossed to just keeping it simple? Or does it act as filler therefore allowing a pure burger to be doubled in amount? What's the point other than to promote a crop like we did with corn hence producing a billion dollar industry? I see the business aspect of it presiding over actuall health missions; I guess that doesn't really surprise me.

Here was the best reply in the discussion thread on this article:

I grew up in the ag business. Trust me when I say I know precisely what I'm talking about. Nothing you have said contradicts my point that soy (along with corn syrup) is probably the single most "processed" product on your grocery shelves. The chemistry involved in making that stuff edible (or drinkable) is outrageous.

I have no problem with GMO plants - especially given that every single food plant on this planet has been "genetically modified". We've just made the process faster in the past 20 years or so.

I find it hilarious when people chant the dogma of "it's a vegetable" or "it's green". Kool Aid is more closely related to anything foodlike than anything related to soy.

I have also seen dairy operations, both large and small. I have milked my share of cows and goats and mucked out more than my share of barns. A well-run organic milk operation is one of the simplest things there is.

Milk, you see, only has to be filtered and heated before it hits the supermarket shelves. There are no chemicals. Milk does not require massive, smoke belching factories. It's about as simple as it gets.

Have you ever seen soy growing? Have you seen (from the air) the monstrous deserts created from the massive cultivation of crops like soy and corn? No one lives there. NO ONE. There's no water, for one thing. All of the wells that WERE in those areas are either dry or hopelessly fouled and poisoned because of those fields.

Irrigation and growing crops where crops were never possible in the first place has destroyed massive tracts of land that this nation needs to survive, and we can never get that back. The damage is too great.

So which one would you rather give your kid? Which would you prefer to live next to? Did you know that the vast majority of soy grown in this country is used for feeding livestock? The decision is yours, of course. But don't for one second pretend that soy is benign in any way. Because that is an outright lie.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Great post kestrel. Not only is it incredibly bad for you, but it strips the land of any goodness and provides a ready market for producers of pesticides and fertilisers. I can't believe it is promoted as an environmentally friendly health food.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I do think it's quite silly for the dairy farmer's to complain about soy milk being called milk. News flash indeed.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I disagree, avocado. I think "milk" should have an FDA definition; never ever underestimate the stupidity of the average person. (Totally unrelated but case in point: 59% of Americans support allowing 'homosexuals' to serve in the military, versus 70% who support allowing 'gay men and lesbians' to serve....according to Harper's.)

I think soy milk and the other non-dairy milks should be called what they are: drinks. Soy, almond- for sure. I don't know what I think about coconut "milk".

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member
    Next they'll complain about "milk of magnesia" in the drugstore. If people don't know soy milk or coconut milk or rice milk isn't coming from cows, I say that's their own problem and an indicator of their intelligence level.
    ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

Well think about it. If Tang or Sunny Delight wanted to start using "juice" in their names, what would people say?

My complaint wasn't that they are mocking the milk counsel for asking for a crack down on non milk products using milk in the name but rather the misinformation they are spreading about soy 'milk'.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Soy isn't even food! I bet if we processed motor oil enough we could consume it too!

Plain and clear: Soy is dangerous.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Baker72 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I suggest everyone read "The Vegetarian Myth"...one of the most insightful, well-written and comprehensive books out there (I'm not done yet)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast