Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal tendinitis remedy? page

murat Guest

I have written in some posts that I have difficulty to fully follow PB, concerning the "lifting heavy things" part, because of a nasty and persistent right-shoulder tendinitis that has been handicapping me for nearly 8 months now. My MD has not taken it seriously and given me some anti-inflammatory meds :-( for 15 days, without any positive consequence. I was hoping that a less inflammatory diet would help me to get rid of it but it seems to take a lot of time. I am trying to protect my shoulder from any strenuous effort, but I have not been able to not use it completely (even writing this post makes me use it, I am afraid)...

I would really appreciate if you have some ideas for quickly getting rid of it, and becoming able again to lift some weights, and do my homework in the garden ;-)

Regards,

Murat

Trinkwasser Guest

I used to suffer from annoying things like not quite frozen shoulder,not quite carpal tunnel etc. The only short term thing I found to help much was direct application of ketoprofen or similar ointment, which reduces local inflammation.

Long term these things have pretty much resolved through blood sugar control, connective tissue appears to become glycated by chronic high BG levels even before "diabetes" is diagnosed. Unfortunately they do take a long time to heal and I don't know many ways to improve on that, sorry! Sometimes massaging and *gently* using the affected part helps free it up, but overdoing it can worsen it rapidly.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Grok would have cut his offending arm off!

murat Guest

Cutting the shoulder part would probably have killed him, not a very efficient evolutionary strategy :-)

Never using the arm was not either a real option for him probably, since the family had to eat some meat. I know that you can get rid of a tendinitis if you can immediately stop using the concerned member for some time (like a week if the injury is not too bad). Unfortunately, this was not possible for me at the time of this injury. Now, eight months later, I continue to live with this thing... I have even heard people loving so much their tendinitis that they keep them for years (please tell mine that I rather hate it ;-) ).

@Trinkwasser: I have tried to gently using it but, it does not seem to like it much :-(

Murat

Miriam Guest

Murat, have a look at this post - Looking for an ultimate one day meal to help with inflammation if your doctor has put you on anti-inflammatory meds and they are not working have another look at your diet and cut out anything that will cause inflamation, even though you have said this takes time it will be worth it.

Not very primal but maybe also see a physiotherapist, they should be able to show you some exercises to help strengthen your rotator cuff.

Ice packs can also help, 20 minutes max on the area a few times a day and that should bring some blood flow back into the shoulder.

murat Guest

Thanks a lot Miriam,

I was following with a lot of interest, the post you mention. I will the the ice pack solution. Maybe it can help me. I can only see a physiotherapist if my MD sends me to him (otherwise, I must pay it from my pocket - the French system is trying to copy the UK one, now).

I will also return to see my MD, but I am afraid that he will just give me more (and probably stronger) anti-inflammatory meds... I would rather prefer to avoid them.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I am a huge fan of physical therapists! I used to work for a huge seniors operation in Denver with over 1000 participants. The number of times someone came into our program in a wheelchair or using a walker with great difficulty only to not need them in six months is great.

While physicians are an obviously important part of the healing arts, the PT's were the ones in the trenches.

I, too, have a knee issue that won't go away. It first showed up in 1995, I think. An MRI didn't show anything that was of concern, too early. Most of the time since then I would just get a bolt of pain once in a rare while. Then suddenly a few weeks ago it is back with a vengeance! I even started using my double hinged knee brace on bad days, again. And some days are better, some worse, and it even varies within the day.

Even w/o the pain bolts, everything is tender around the knee. Yet, I can walk several miles, no problem. And the pain is no different if I don't walk. I have tried aspirin and Naproxen (??)but no long term benefits. I might try the heat or cold packs.

After all, when you live in America and don't get health benefits because you are taking care of family, and you are not 65 for Medicare (which is only 80/20 anyway), you are on your own.

Catalina is offline Member

Murat, I'm a big believer in trigger point therapy--a trigger point is a muscle that is referring pain to another spot. There are two great books by Clair Davies about how to work on your own trigger points: The Frozen Shoulder Workbook and The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. This might not relate to your problem, but check it out and see. Trinkwasser's post about the effects of blood sugar control was very interesting also, wasn't it?

murat Guest

@Catalina, thanks a lot. There is a definitely some convergence between your post and Trinkwasser's one, since I read on the web site of the book you mention: "Frozen shoulder is most often observed in women between the ages of forty and sixty and in individuals with type-two diabetes, although a man or woman of any age may be afflicted." That indicates a correlation between this sympton and diabetes.

I have stopped taking sugar for nearly three years (except some very rare occasions like birthdays etc.) and my blood tests are very good for blood sugar. So, I am not sure that diabetes is a suspect in my case (but I am not a doctor).

The Frozen Shoulder Workbook seems very interesting! I will explore the web site and probably buy the book, since I do not see any other solution for now (I do not want to take steroids for instance). Thank you very much for pointing to it.

@OTB: I am sorry for you knee pain. I have also a small problem with my left knee and my MD is sending me to some reeducation. The echography (ERM in English? I am not sure, like with the pregnant mothers who can see their babies with this tool) has showed that my muscles are not completely arranged there as they should.

Best regards,

Murat

murat Guest

Thanks again Catalina. I have checked the web site of the book and the approach really looks promising. SO I have ordered both books from Amazon. I look forward to read them. I will keep you informed if it works.

Best regards,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast