Thread: Tinned spinach - why do you hurt me so? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Tinned spinach - why do you hurt me so?

Primal Fuel
    There's something about tinned spinach that I've always loved. It's got such a good flavour. When I was underweight I even used to eat it as my "drunk food".

However, whenever I eat it - no matter what brand - it gives me terrible sh*ts. Like seriously. According to the ingredients there's nothing in it but spinach, salt and water. Fresh spinach - raw or cooked, never gives me this problem.

Why are those you love always the ones that hurt you?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I haven't seen canned spinach since living home with my parents. Apparently my mother thought vegetables grew in cans. I loved canned veggies and as a result, still over cook greens having never developed a taste for nice crunchy ones.

Big dumb guess here: Perhaps sitting in water releases/starts to metabolize something that doesn't get released during normal digestion because fresh doesn't stick around long enough in our bodies to release it?

Does frozen spinach do it also?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I haven't seen canned spinach since living home with my parents. Apparently my mother thought vegetables grew in cans. I loved canned veggies and as a result, still over cook greens having never developed a taste for nice crunchy ones.

Big dumb guess here: Perhaps sitting in water releases/starts to metabolize something that doesn't get released during normal digestion because fresh doesn't stick around long enough in our bodies to release it?

Does frozen spinach do it also?
    I actually love raw veggies (bell peppers...mmm!) but there's something about tinned spinach that just gets me.

Interesting theory... Call me naive but I presumed cos' it was just salt and water that meant it was healthy. But tinned veg = duh.

Frozen spinach is problem-free!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat