Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap meat? page 3

Shop Now
    Sardines, Sweet Potatoes, Plantains, Liver, Hearts, and the Pet Burger from US Wellness Meats are all wallet friendly staples. Always read the weekly circular at your local Supermarkets. Frozen veggies are usually 2 for 1 at least once a month. Fermentation is pretty cost effective too. Pick up a few big Fido jars from TJ Maxx and make your own Sauerkraut.

johnnytt is offline Junior Member
    $210 divided by 30 days is $7.00 a day for food. That is a lot of money for a woman a day and you look like a fairly small woman in your pic on top of that.

I have fed a family of 3 pretty healthy for not much more than that.

If you ate three meals a day and they all looked something like this you would make it easy with money to spare . .

4 oz chicken breast ($2.99lb) So around $1
    1 bananna 69c lb so around 20c
    1/2 cup of carrots 99c lb so maybe 25c or so
    20 almonds 4.99 lb so probably less than 25c

Just kind of basing prices off of what I bought at my local market this morning

So thats something only like $2.00 for one of your three meals obviously you can mix and match things and look for cheaper items as well.

You can make things like beef stews by buying beef roasts that are generally cheap per lb as well. Throw in some carrots, sweat potatos, onions and what ever else you like and you have another cheap high in protein meal.

$7 a day should be tons of money to get more protein and other foods than you will ever need a day. Unless I am unaware that food is massively more expensive in Canada than here in the US.

Good luck

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    She's in Canada. $200 is almost nothing for food.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Eggs... lots of eggs.

thewildirishgirl is offline Junior Member
    Yes, get a crockpot!!! I use mine once a week to cook a big roast for the week. I bought a pork shoulder on sale last week, the whole thing for $7!!! I used this recipe to stew it in my crockpot Paleo Crock Pot Pork Shoulder Pernil Carnitas Style - Our Full Plate I sauteed some veggies and served it with avocado. Doesn't get better than that!

johnnytt is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Yeah after I wrote it out I kind of figured that was the issue.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    4oz of chicken isn't enough for a single meal. At least not for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by johnnytt View Post
    $210 divided by 30 days is $7.00 a day for food. That is a lot of money for a woman a day and you look like a fairly small woman in your pic on top of that.

I have fed a family of 3 pretty healthy for not much more than that.

If you ate three meals a day and they all looked something like this you would make it easy with money to spare . .

4 oz chicken breast ($2.99lb) So around $1
    1 bananna 69c lb so around 20c
    1/2 cup of carrots 99c lb so maybe 25c or so
    20 almonds 4.99 lb so probably less than 25c

Just kind of basing prices off of what I bought at my local market this morning

So thats something only like $2.00 for one of your three meals obviously you can mix and match things and look for cheaper items as well.

You can make things like beef stews by buying beef roasts that are generally cheap per lb as well. Throw in some carrots, sweat potatos, onions and what ever else you like and you have another cheap high in protein meal.

$7 a day should be tons of money to get more protein and other foods than you will ever need a day. Unless I am unaware that food is massively more expensive in Canada than here in the US.

Good luck
    I wish i could live off that little food... I could eat an entire chicken in one sitting. I might be small, but I eat as much food as about 2 people... I have a very fast metabolism. I ate more than my ex-boyfriend, and he weighed twice what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    4oz of chicken isn't enough for a single meal. At least not for me.
    That's nothing for me either. I eat about 2500-3000 calories a day. I can eat a whole chicken, and still have room later on in the day...

diene is offline Senior Member
    Organic chicken thighs are pretty inexpensive at Trader Joe's. I think it's because most people don't like dark meat. I don't like dark meat that much myself, but it's a good choice when you're tight on cash.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Lately I've been buying a lot of local grass fed ground beef: $4.99 a pound. Today I picked up Organic chicken legs for $1.79 a pound at Costco and I've also been buying wild caught Cod if I see it under $5 a pound. Some other protein staples for me are (in addition to eggs) almonds and about once a week a I cook up a batch of Quinoa and mix it with sauteed vegetables and EVO. While the meat is usually conventional, try cube steak. Its a lean cut and cooks pretty quick by frying it in butter.

While not really in the protein category, I also eat a lot of Avocado for some good fat and like making spinach salad with generous amounts of EVO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast