Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap meat? page 2

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Different types of squashes are usually extremely cheap as well. Don't fear potatoes because of the carbs.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you are worried about not getting enough protein, I get that - protein is pretty expensive. Protein powder might be a help, even though it's a processed food and not strictly primal. If you're careful about the protein source in the powder, it might go a long way in helping you get your protein without spending a lot of money. Then if you get the rest of your calories from sweet potatoes, fresh fruits and veggies, wild fish (think salmon canned), full fat yogurt, eggs, etc., you can start to build your eating plan around that.

Factory/cheap meat isn't the best choice, but if you eat it, it has been advised that you remove the fat (or skin from chicken) because the icky stuff gets stored in higher concentrations in the fat.

Offal is the term used for the nasty bits of the animal. Liver, heart, kidneys, spleen, tongue, etc. If you're of an experimental mind, these can often be cheaper sources of meat.

It's a shame that eating strictly primal is so much more expensive than eating SAD, but hopefully as more people move to the dark side, there will be more competition for our dollars and healthfully produced products will start to be more affordable.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Balance is online now Senior Member
    Buy fruits and vegetables in season from local farmers markets. It is cheaper when you buy in season and you are benefitting your local farmers. You can buy meat/fish when they are on sale and buy in bulk and freeze what you don't need just yet. If you have a Costco card you can buy many organic foods in bulk. Also, if you have your own backyard try growing your own fruits and vegetables. Even if you are in an apartment you can grow herbs in small places like right by your window. You do not have to eat heaps of meat to do this diet like some people will make you think. You can do the volume of your grocery shopping on fruits and vegetables. Just as long as you are eating real foods and eliminating the bad PUFA's and wheat you are most of the way there.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Offal, ground meat, raw dairy (if you can find this, it will most likely be cheap and you can almost base your entire diet on it ifyou'd want to), eggz
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Buy fruits and vegetables in season from local farmers markets. It is cheaper when you buy in season and you are benefitting your local farmers. You can buy meat/fish when they are on sale and buy in bulk and freeze what you don't need just yet. If you have a Costco card you can buy many organic foods in bulk. Also, if you have your own backyard try growing your own fruits and vegetables. Even if you are in an apartment you can grow herbs in small places like right by your window. You do not have to eat heaps of meat to do this diet like some people will make you think. You can do the volume of your grocery shopping on fruits and vegetables. Just as long as you are eating real foods and eliminating the bad PUFA's and wheat you are most of the way there.
    Yep, I always shop farmer's markets in the summer!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Invest in 1/2 or 1/4 grass fed cow. Share it with a friend or two if your budget is tight. High quality meat for not much more than grocery store prices. If its not 100% grass fed, at least buy local, and hormone and antibiotic free.

The reality is, real food costs more than fake processed food. If you can't pare your food budget down much more, then try to find other ways to save around the house. Like making your own cleaning products, line drying clothes, clipping coupons...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Pork is generally cheap as are large cuts of meat (i.e. leg of lamb). You can also buy from farmers in bulk, however you will need somewhere to store all that meat.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Be careful with protein powder if your super anal about consuming gluten. A lot of the cheap protein powder is not gluten/grain free. Pork is a solid way to save money. I do Sams and Costco and buy pork sausage in bulk. Sams and Costco also have chicken that is relatively cheap. It's not "the best" in terms of being organic, but it's cheap.

The cheapest source of protein I know of it canned tuna/salmon/chicken. Buy that in bulk at Sams/Costco as well. This is no longer good, but keep an eye out for a good deal on a Sam's membership like this: The Best Daily Deals in Ventura County - Sam's Club - One-Year Membership and $20 Gift Card

Also, I'm not sure if every Sam's Club is like this, but my club will let non-members purchase without a membership if they use cash. Double check with Customer Service first though.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Offal is seriously good for cheap meat, and at our local supermarket it is often marked down at the end of the day (because it does not sell well to fussy shoppers!)

This site has some good offal recipes on as well!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What I do is shop at a small ethnic-oriented market that has a great meat department in the back with real butchers. It's not grass-fed or anything like that. All the cuts of meat are HUGE so you have to cut them up yourself when you get home. Rib-eyes are "expensive" at $7 a pound (at the healthfood store it's $25). Chicken is sometimes on sale for 69 cents a pound. I buy the leaner cuts and sometimes the offal (drop a pigs foot into your bone broth for a richer, more gelatinous broth or try chicken feet for chicken broth). If I want healthy fat, I'll have salmon, grass-fed butter, olive oil, coconut oil or avocados.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast