Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New York food regulations and bans- thoughts? page 2

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    "Why do legislatures think that they know what is best for us in the first place?"

I don't recall stating that. I was only presenting my view from an objective standpoint. I don't necessarily agree with their decision making.

My opinion is more in line with what JoanieL stated above.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    you lead a rich fantasy life

it wouldnt be like that because theyd be too busy banning red meat and saturated fat while promoting canola oil and wheat
    Yes maybe, but it must be allowed to hope that some reason little by little goes through? Personally I can see the amusement of Americans drowning in their own fat when keeping the banner of individual freedom high above their heads, if it wasn’t because their lifestyle now to a large extent has been imitated also by other places of the world! I see it here in south-america, and also in Asia the obesity among people adopting the typical western diet of industrial processed food seem to explode! Fat and obese children is a very SAD thing to see...

Megatron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    "Why do legislatures think that they know what is best for us in the first place?"

I don't recall stating that. I was only presenting my view from an objective standpoint. I don't necessarily agree with their decision making.

My opinion is more in line with what JoanieL stated above.
    Yeah, there's a few strawman arguments going on here.

I like the debate, though, from no, this law is beneficial to no, he's overstepping. Most are pretty valid points, however, what is to be done instead? I still say making healthy foods cheaper and more accessible, and perhaps putting in more inexpensive public gyms (and make them less gross), would be wiser choices than straight up banning foods.

I also think making all food nutrition info public and easy to find makes a lot of sense.

Also: diabetes, obesity, and other health problems related to eating poorly costs New Yorkers a lot of money every year. How does that relate to personal freedom of the healthy person paying very high taxes?

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    There are a couple things that could be done.

First of all, the key to making a change is creating awareness then making people care.

Creating awareness of obesity, and the multiple health issues related to it can be done through a number of avenues, including media, education, and parenting. Have you noticed how there's no National Fundraiser for Obesity? No charities that are dedicated fully to raising money for research related to what causes obesity? Or money related to educating people about why it's BAD to be fat, and what causes it? I think this could be an initial step - some type of organization that is pervasive throughout American society raising awareness about obesity.

In terms of making people take action, that will be much more gradual. The mindset of wanting convenience and instant gratification is a disease, in itself, of our society. Until that aspect is addressed, I don't think many people will have the innate desire to make a substantial change in habits.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I don't support Bloomberg's actions but I find the hue and cry out of proportion to the restrictions and disingenuous depending on who it's coming from. There is so much wrong with this city that I can neither get worked up about soda size restrictions nor take seriously the amount of city effort put into soda size restrictions. Also, when I see a soda delivery truck with a sign encouraging me to demand my rights, I know the only right they care about is my right to give them my money. When Bloomberg tried to prohibit the purchase of sugar-sweetened drinks with food stamps, the television ads decrying the effect this would have on the poor were paid for by the beverage industry. Groups that actually advocate for the poor couldn't really care less. And the city can't even enforce the laws about not running down pedestrians, so even if I did want to drink massive amounts of Coke I wouldn't worry about my ability to procure it.

Also, I find the subway posters about sugary drinks insulting to my intelligence. There's sugar in soda? No s--t, sherlock.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Why do legislatures think that they know what is best for us in the first place?
    Well, actually that's kind of the point of our form of government. We vote for the people we choose to represent our interests in the lawmaking bodies. Obviously, its practice is far from flawless but it's not insane that legislatures would legislate our actions. That's kind of the reason for their existence.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    Well, actually that's kind of the point of our form of government. We vote for the people we choose to represent our interests in the lawmaking bodies. Obviously, its practice is far from flawless but it's not insane that legislatures would legislate our actions. That's kind of the reason for their existence.
    NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!

Are you telling me that voting for a city council gives them the right to dictate your food choices? Absolutely not!!! All governments are getting out of control, and this is a perfect example of it.

When we vote for a city government we expect them to provide city services, and write laws relevant to the managing of a CITY, not telling people what they can and can't eat!!!

Every time they overstep their boundaries, and we accept it, we become a little less free. Like I said, are you prepared to have the soda police at your childrens birthday party?

Its misguided, unenforecable, and repulsive. It cheapens ALL laws, and eventually leads people to lose respect for the rule of law in general.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The reason we are having this discussion is because government policy has financially supported the increased production in HFCS products and marketing efforts to increase consumption by any number of means. Go ahead and try to argue that it's the right of New Yorkers to consume 128 ounce tubs of soda and big bad government is trying to violate that right.

The government caused this problem. But you're all okay with that.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Mayor McFascist needs to be banned. If people want to murder themselves with HFCS and trans fats, it's their right. I won't touch the junk, but I'm not about to take away someone else's choice to do so.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I think it's just another tyrannical move by government and even under the most benevolent intentions would not make the slightest difference.

Meanwhile...

Officials: NYC High School Students Entering CUNY Need Remedial Help « CBS New York
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast