Thread: Food cravings engineered by industry page

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

Food cravings engineered by industry

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Informative article and frightening for so many reasons, as we all know. A lot of people are making a lot of money by preying on the addictions of others.

"'These products are designed to keep you coming back to eat more and more and more. They're trying to increase their share of your stomach." Bruce Bradley

CBC News - Food cravings engineered by industry

/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Puddleglumish is online now Member
    I kind of knew this before but reading it is really shocking. Particularly the bits about shelf life and what happens when the salt is removed.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    This same principle is representative of the majority of western society's consumerist culture. Many corporations have created a desire for things above and beyond what's necessary. Planned obsolescence (both with the physical condition of products and the perception of the products), has been a keystone of our economy since World War II.

Thankfully, change is slowly beginning to occur with a shift in priority from (selling + profit) to (selling + profit + create social/environmental good).
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    This same principle is representative of the majority of western society's consumerist culture. Many corporations have created a desire for things above and beyond what's necessary. Planned obsolescence (both with the physical condition of products and the perception of the products), has been a keystone of our economy since World War II.

Thankfully, change is slowly beginning to occur with a shift in priority from (selling + profit) to (selling + profit + create social/environmental good).
    We've been bought off with trinkets. Hopefully, the shift will be away from shitty trinkets and towards items that represent true wealth, just as the Paleo movement is a rejection of shitty factory food and towards real food.

I always ask myself will this item be worth the same or more 20 years form now (if not in a $ sense, then at least in utility), if the answer is no, then I probably don't need it. I'm still a bit of a sucker for electronics however.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Megatron is offline Member
    This reminds me of the studies done on Hot Cheetos- the combo of spice, salt, and fat makes them so addictive schools are banning them. I am so glad that people are realizing foods are actually created to be addictive, and hopefully more policies will be put out to warn people.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    We've been bought off with trinkets. Hopefully, the shift will be away from shitty trinkets and towards items that represent true wealth, just as the Paleo movement is a rejection of shitty factory food and towards real food.

I always ask myself will this item be worth the same or more 20 years form now (if not in a $ sense, then at least in utility), if the answer is no, then I probably don't need it. I'm still a bit of a sucker for electronics however.
    B corporations are what I had in my mind when mentioning the shift towards items that represent "true wealth", as you mentioned: Welcome | B Corporation .

A few B corporations that I've already used/purchased from/are interested in are Couchsurfing, GoLite, the Savory Institute, Ben & Jerry's (not primal but so delicious), Etsy and Numi organic tea.

I strongly believe this will be the future of business, if the human species plans on continuing to survive for countless generations.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul119 View Post
    B corporations are what I had in my mind when mentioning the shift towards items that represent "true wealth", as you mentioned: Welcome | B Corporation .

A few B corporations that I've already used/purchased from/are interested in are Couchsurfing, GoLite, the Savory Institute, Ben & Jerry's (not primal but so delicious), Etsy and Numi organic tea.

I strongly believe this will be the future of business, if the human species plans on continuing to survive for countless generations.
    I like the idea of B Corporations, but they are only a small step. Really questioning why you need something is a big part of getting off the consumer bandwagon. How many possessions did my great-grandparents need? Certainly a hell of a lot less than what we would consume nowadays.

To take it back to the OP's original thought, is it that surprising that they make food to be addictive? Is it any different to the way corporations design and market all products?

Constantly changing fashions, planned obsolescence, addictive foods, beauty products, etc. All part of the same system designed to get us to continue spending is it not?
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    I like the idea of B Corporations, but they are only a small step. Really questioning why you need something is a big part of getting off the consumer bandwagon. How many possessions did my great-grandparents need? Certainly a hell of a lot less than what we would consume nowadays.

To take it back to the OP's original thought, is it that surprising that they make food to be addictive? Is it any different to the way corporations design and market all products?

Constantly changing fashions, planned obsolescence, addictive foods, beauty products, etc. All part of the same system designed to get us to continue spending is it not?
    itchy166: your comments resonate with me. It doesn't begin or end with processed foods. What you say nails the head on the nail -- it's the flavour of the day in any of the categories you mention --- fat loss; clothes; makeup; cars; houses --- it's a consumerism world we live in. Too bad for the minimalists (like myself)....I don't get sucked into all the crap -- and hope others embrace the minimalist lifestyle, too.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

JenniRose is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Louisa, that's and eye opener.