Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF 20/4 - Carbs or fat to break fast. page

Omni is offline Senior Member

IF 20/4 - Carbs or fat to break fast.

I tend to be fairly casual,
    But most days I do 20/4 IF, usually start day with a couple of coffees with coconut cream and a teaspoon of sugar, usually go through to late afternoon and early evening, then have dinner mostly meat/fat/veg/salad and an hour or so after knock back a bowl of fruit and some nuts etc. Sometimes I snack on fruit and nuts during the day when doing a hard days work as it's convenient.

Just wondering if there are any opinions on whether I should do the carbs before the fat and protein?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Break your fast with anything you like.

If you're trying to lose weight I would start with vegetables, then starch and then protein if you feel the need.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I usually break the fast with a piece of fruit and a bowl of kimchi. But that's the first food I've had all day.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I just eat a massive meal, protein, vegetables, everything.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Depends - if you're doing this to lose weight, then protein and fat to break the fast may be a good option. Both send quicker satiety signals. If IF'ing is just for the overarching health benefits, then it likely doesn't matter what you break it with.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

iconoclast79 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    If you're trying to lose weight I would start with vegetables, then starch and then protein if you feel the need.
    This seems wrong.

Wouldn't protein be key for lean mass preservation? Fat for satiety? A big ass meal of fatty meat, vegetables, eggs, etc. seems right to me. Maybe some combination of yogurt, nuts, dark chocolate, berries and pumpkin seeds for dessert if you want. Eat some sweet potatoes or other starch if you are working out and/or are craving it.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Not trying to lose weight, just health maintenance and was looking to tune the feeding sequence a bit.

Just done a bit of a calc on the morning coconut cream coffees, seems I am knocking back somwhere around 500 calories of fat and 100 of carbs, so maybe more like a light breakfast than just a coffee.

The other night I just ate some sliced turkey and veg for dinner, but didn't add my usual dollup of lard and couldn't settle the stomach, ate a bucket load of stuff, just ended up bloated. Oh and it wasn't just the Turkey as I had much the same the night before, but did have the extra lard on it to lubricate the turkey.

Last night just had a normal plateful of meat/veg/salad, but heaped extra lard on top and was completely satisfied so seems I definately need my fat hit, probably means I'm more of a fat than carb person.

Think i will stick to having a good fatty meaty dinner, then get my carbs in the desert with fruit, nuts and yoghurt and maybe review those calories in the morning.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Strike that... Reverse it .... Then I agree.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Think i will stick to having a good fatty meaty dinner, then get my carbs in the desert with fruit, nuts and yoghurt and maybe review those calories in the morning.
    That is how I normally do it. I really don't believe there is any advantage to nutrient sequence if your not aiming for weight loss specifically. I usually start with a nice piece of flesh and follow that with some fruit for desert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast