Thread: To Eat Or Not To Eat - Pulses? page

Anuj is offline Junior Member

To Eat Or Not To Eat - Pulses?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I need help to understand what kind of pulses make the non-grain category? I live in India, which is huge on pulses for most of the meals and easy accessible.

Wiki post: "Included in the pulses are: dry beans like pinto beans, kidney beans and navy beans; dry peas; lentils"
    Pulse (legume) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also adds:

"The term "pulse", as used by the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), is reserved for crops harvested solely for the dry seed. This excludes green beans and green peas, which are considered vegetable crops. Also excluded are crops that are mainly grown for oil extraction (oilseeds like soybeans and peanuts), and crops which are used exclusively for sowing (clovers, alfalfa). However, in common use, these distinctions are not clearly made, and many of the varieties so classified and given below are also used as vegetables, with their beans in pods while young; cooked in whole cuisines; and sold for the purpose; for example, black eyed beans, lima beans and Toor or pigeon peas are thus eaten as fresh green beans, or cooked as part of a meal."

I am not sure if pulses work good within primal, and if so, then at what (pyramid) level it exists - how much can I gorge

Thanks...

tomi is online now Senior Member
    nope - what you are calling pulses are not primal/paleo.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal/Paleo allow beans and peas as vegetable - in other words no dry pulses. The diets that allow pulses and are closest to Primal/Paleo in the concept are Slow Carb diets. Since the pulses is a staple in India, the approach that can be recommended is not eating more than 1 cup of cooked starches a day (pulses, potato, sweet potato, rice). Now, if you would like to eat a lot of pulses, AND gorging, I would recommend Tim Ferris 4-Hour Body book that is very much pulses-based and insists on one feast day a week in his slow-carb approach.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Anuj is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, Tomi and Leida for responding.

That's a great tip, of which I had no idea: slow carb diets and keeping off dry pulses. Yes, pulses are a staple diet in India, though not something that I can't avoid being at home - stick to veggies and non-veg & eggs. Good to know that one-cup of cooked starches could be alright.

I have other challenges being Type 1 diabetic. I am convinced that going low-carb is the way to go but I need to be careful about the reduction of insulin, which I intend doing gradually. Also, take care to maintain my weight if not increase since I am on the low side.

I shall take a look at Tom Ferris' recommendation.

Thanks...