Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 76

Thread: Most paleo chocolate? page 7

  1. #61
    RenegadeRN's Avatar
    RenegadeRN is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Central USA
    Posts
    97
    Not to be a Debby Downer, but for you celiacs out there- Lindt isn't considered gluten free. Per their website.

    The 70% and above doesn't contain the barley malt as does the lesser percentages, but is run on the same lines. They make no mention of cleaning lines to prevent cross contamination.

    This probably isn't a concern to the non-celiac, but cross contamination such as this keeps the celiac or really gluten sensitive, feeling bad and wondering why- even when they knowingly aren't consuming anything with gluten ingredients.


    That's my PSA for the day!
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

  2. #62
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRN View Post
    Not to be a Debby Downer, but for you celiacs out there- Lindt isn't considered gluten free. Per their website.

    The 70% and above doesn't contain the barley malt as does the lesser percentages, but is run on the same lines. They make no mention of cleaning lines to prevent cross contamination.

    This probably isn't a concern to the non-celiac, but cross contamination such as this keeps the celiac or really gluten sensitive, feeling bad and wondering why- even when they knowingly aren't consuming anything with gluten ingredients.


    That's my PSA for the day!
    I appreciate the information! I'm not celiac, but I fall under that category being allergic to barley!

    Sometimes you have to wonder... WHY do they add that crap to chocolate? Or anything? Barley belongs in bread and beer...not chocolate.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

  3. #63
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    I appreciate the information! I'm not celiac, but I fall under that category being allergic to barley!

    Sometimes you have to wonder... WHY do they add that crap to chocolate? Or anything? Barley belongs in bread and beer...not chocolate.
    Because their marketing research tells them that people like it better with than without. Same reason all but a few breakfast cereals have barley malt in them.

  4. #64
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Because their marketing research tells them that people like it better with than without. Same reason all but a few breakfast cereals have barley malt in them.
    Yeah...probably why the few cereals that don't, have soy in them. I have seen soy in cereal. Wtf! Plain rice crispys and plain chex are the only cereals I have found without extra ingredients, not that it's worth eating them in the first place.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

  5. #65
    Dr. Bork Bork's Avatar
    Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    4,813
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Plain rice crispys and plain chex are the only cereals I have found without extra ingredients
    Oh, like, say... cancer-encouraging BHT? Double check Chex! I thought about getting some for my gluten sensitive kid, but the BHT scared me off.
    --Trish (Bork)
    TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
    http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
    FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

  6. #66
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Oh, like, say... cancer-encouraging BHT? Double check Chex! I thought about getting some for my gluten sensitive kid, but the BHT scared me off.
    I don't eat them anymore, but when I did, I scanned for various food allergens. I have no idea what BHT is, but I don't recall seeing it. I'll have to check next time I'm not at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

    I think Rice Crispys are fairly straight forward, though.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

  7. #67
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Both Rice Krispies and Rice Chex used to have malt flavoring in them. This is a recent change.

  8. #68
    kathleen's Avatar
    kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Bend, WA
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Both Rice Krispies and Rice Chex used to have malt flavoring in them. This is a recent change.
    It's like the cereal industry is trying to kill me. Thanks for the tip!
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

  9. #69
    CavemanJoe's Avatar
    CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Over here
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Chocolate is a processed food.

    Cacao bean is a real food....and even that is questionable.
    Oh shit, it's processed - it's going to KILL you! Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!

  10. #70
    sakura_girl's Avatar
    sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,728
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Oh shit, it's processed - it's going to KILL you! Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!
    Can you explain to me what Primal is, again?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •