Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perplexed by seaweed page

Cole is offline Junior Member

Perplexed by seaweed

I have a strange, fundamental desire to add seaweed to my veggie rotation, but, beyond its ubiquitous presence in sushi, I really have no idea how to prepare it.

So, rather than do the obvious thing (google seaweed recipes), I thought I'd attempt to bypass the massive return of said search and ask you MDA-ers if you have a favorite tip, technique, or idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    One of my favorite ways to use nori is to wrap it around lox and goat cheese, chill it, then cut it up like sushi. Add a little cucumber to it and it's a little more refreshing.

Other than that, I usually add it to any soup or broth I make. I have a couple of sheets of nori that I cut up with some scissors so I could just toss in however much I want in my soup.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    One of my favorite ways to use nori is to wrap it around lox and goat cheese, chill it, then cut it up like sushi. Add a little cucumber to it and it's a little more refreshing.
    Funny, I've been doing a similar thing: Smoked salmon, cream cheese, wrapped in nori = Jewshi

Mazel tov!

Love the Jewshi idea. I frequently have smoked salmon or pickled herring for breakfast, and this sounds like a nice twist...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I call it that too, but I didn't want to offend anyone. LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I call it that too, but I didn't want to offend anyone. LOL
    Pretty sure it's okay as long as you don't serve it with a side of bacon

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I throw some dried stuff in my nightly mug of bone broth.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    How you prepare it depends on whether you are planning on using fresh (harvested yourself), frozen, dried, or seaweed paper (nori).

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    I have a strange, fundamental desire to add seaweed to my veggie rotation, but, beyond its ubiquitous presence in sushi, I really have no idea how to prepare it.

So, rather than do the obvious thing (google seaweed recipes), I thought I'd attempt to bypass the massive return of said search and ask you MDA-ers if you have a favorite tip, technique, or idea.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I add it to salad sometimes. This is a raw vegan recipe I picked up, but don't let that put you off, it's really deliciious.

Soak some dried seaweed in cold water for as long as it says on the packet. Usually about 15 mins.
    Get some green leaves, chop up a really ripe avocado and massage it into the green leaves for a few minutes with a bit of salt. You an also add a splash of olive oil if you fancy. This will make the leaves semi-wilted, and taste nicer and easier to eat. Add your choice of chopped tomato, capers, olives, spring onion etc. you could also add chopped bacon or cheese or nuts if you like.
    Drain the seaweed and rinse. Add to salad. Eat and enjoy.

This travels well so can be prepared before work and then had as a packed lunch.
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I adore the seaweed salads they serve at the Japanese restaurants, and I like seaweed in my Miso soup, but yeah- outside of Japanese food, I have no idea where to use seaweed.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast