Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Perplexed by seaweed page 2

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Easy 3 steps: 1. open the box, 2. take the seaweed with your fingers, 3. put it in your mouth. My daughter loves this recipe.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I am no seaweed scientist, but here is what we use:

Nori, unseasoned, comes in sheets and gets wrapped around stuff.
    Nori, seasoned (salt, oil, smoked, sometimes chili), comes both in sheets and chopped, eat out of hand or crumble/sprinkle on anything imaginable.
    Wakame, comes in long darkest green tangles or chopped (I like buying it chopped), gets dropped in brothy soups (or just broth - a fave here), but be warned that it unfurls to a size quite larger than its dried-up bitty original self
    Back before Primal, I used to put a strip of kombu in bean soups - they soften better, the kombu dissolves completely

I recommend just going to a small Asian grocery, make friends with the owner, and just start asking questions and reading the ID label and trying stuff out. You will find favorites very quickly. Somewhere on the bag you should be able to find the English words that identify the type - nori, wakame, laver, kombu, etc. If all that fails, just go to a Japanese sushi restaurant and get an order of the seaweed salad - OMG, I could eat a barrel of that stuff! We have an Asian grocery that I discovered makes an awesome seaweed salad as well, so now I can get my fix from their fridge case instead of going out to dinner.

My bestest tip - once you have found a favorite sea vegetable, SAVE THE PACKAGE for your next shopping trip. Makes getting the same thing next time MUCH easier if you can show the shop owner what you originally got.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Cole is offline Junior Member
    Excellent advice. Thanks!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Soup/broth ... lots of seaweed, chilli, ginger, garlic, lime juice ... and scallops, crab, chicken, and, my favourite: slices of raw fillet steak and let the hot broth just cook it.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Sprinkle on salads or into seafood soups. Do not give to men, they don't seem to appreciate it.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Do not give to men, they don't seem to appreciate it.
    My boyfriend loves it, but he's half Korean. We buy foil pouches of crunchy seasoned seaweed snack for him, wasabi, anchovy, or other flavors.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    My boyfriend loves it, but he's half Korean. We buy foil pouches of crunchy seasoned seaweed snack for him, wasabi, anchovy, or other flavors.
    I guess it's different when they've grown up with it.
    I made my man some fish-based pho (it seems my body is OK with some rice, so the noodles got a thumbs-up). He liked the taste of some nori I added in his soup, but wouldn't eat even the smallest pieces of the actual thing. More of a herb to him, I guess.

Also, have you noticed how many men are the first to wave raw liver and seaweed in your face to "gross you out", but when you're eating it they won't come within a mile of your plate?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

SPAM Musubi
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I guess it's different when they've grown up with it.
    I made my man some fish-based pho (it seems my body is OK with some rice, so the noodles got a thumbs-up). He liked the taste of some nori I added in his soup, but wouldn't eat even the smallest pieces of the actual thing. More of a herb to him, I guess.

Also, have you noticed how many men are the first to wave raw liver and seaweed in your face to "gross you out", but when you're eating it they won't come within a mile of your plate?
    Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever dated a guy who would have considered eating liver.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Cole,
    I get mine at a website called Netrition.com. They sell Sea Tangle brand kelp noodles, awesome as seaweed salad cold or as a hot pasta substitute. They soak up sauces nicely.

Also sold there are SeaSnax which are crunchy toasted and spiced nori sheets. These are the only ones I've ever found that don't have non Primal oils in them, only olive oil. There are several flavors including wasabi, chipotle, and onion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast