Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day juice fast? (For a sick guy.) page

tzulogic is offline Member

10 day juice fast? (For a sick guy.)

Shop Now
    Hi there!

Someone recommended that I make my main focus 'nutrition' since I'm coming out of chronic illness. I've been leaving it behind step by step, but I am still generally weak and unhealthy.

I am grain free. I only eat real food now, mostly vegetables. I do probiotics and take a multivitamin.

I watched the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," and seeing as 2 of the conditions I have were seemingly cured in that movie, I decided I want to give it a go.

What are your opinions on a 10 day juice fast? Not primal? What if I added whey protein to my juices?

I don't really have all that much fat to lose. Right now I'm more concerned with health then body shape. Also, most juices might look like this:
    Kale
    Celery
    Apple
    Parsley
    (basically anything.)

So I could still control my ranges, and keep carbs and sugars down a bit.

After that, I would just return to what I'm doing. Another option would be as a meal replacement, 3 times weekly? Almost like an intermittent fast maybe.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I think the juice fast is great for healthy people to play with, but may put even more stress on a person who is not healthy. Try starting with a single glass of freshly-made juice as part of your breakfast.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    It may help others to advise you if you name the conditions you have.

As said a juice fast can be quite stressful on the body and I have my doubts as to the overall benefits, some of these extreme procedures often have quite severe side effects which are usually put down to detoxing, but my feeling is they are just a bad reaction to upsetting the bodies equilibrium in most cases.

Personally I would just stick to a healthy diet and lifestyle and allow time for healing to take place.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're sick, and chronically sick at that, I would not recommend a fast. Fasting works because it places stress upon your body, causing hormesis, and more stress placed on it is not something your body needs when it's sick.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

tzulogic is offline Member
    Hmmm.... interesting. I suspected the reaction most people had with juice fasting came from quitting junk-food and grains. As I think more about it, If nutrition is my goal I might as well use it as a supplement for a time until my body catches back up on micronutrients. It's not like I need to lose much fat.

Okay: So the crap I'm trying to rid myself of is:
    Cholinergic Urticaria (A skin allergy to heat change, difficulty sweating.) Improving!
    Chronic Headaches IMPROVING!
    Chronic Neck Pain and TMJD, improving. Frequent physical therapy.
    Systemic Inflammation Improving..some.
    IBS Almost gone!
    Anxiety and Palpitations Under control.
    Disassociation Syndrome (A strong feeling of Unreality, like being in movie, or a virtual world. Was terrifying at first.) It comes and goes, so I have no Idea if it's changing.
    Overall joint pain and muscle weakness, extreme fatigue and prevalent mental fog....Improving.
    Depression...improving, still get it from time to time.

Not bad for a 23 year old guy, not bad at all!

Thanks for your input, I think I'll avoid such an extended fast. I'll just supplement.

Megatron is offline Member
    Fast from all processed foods, grains, sugar. See if that helps first.

When I think of 'juice fast' all I can think about is how shaky I get without any fat or protein and alllll that sugar. Yes, even sugar from fruits. I do not think that would help your problems, at all.

Zach is offline Banned
    I acutally think that a juice fast would be beneficial. Sometimes the gut, organs and blood get overburdened and need a break to clean house and detox.

I would suggest you only try it for a day or two at first and eat a meal if you feel the need. I would not add protein powder, your body will scavange for protein for quite awhile before it breaks down muscle. I would suggest you add quite a bit of fruit to eat the calories up. Also add some lemon, cilantro, ginger and other things of that nature to help with detox.

It can be a very nice change of pace to not have to eat. Just listen to your body and stop when needed. I think juicing should be a regular part of everyones diet.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Why is a "juice fast stressful on the body"?

aussielady954 is offline Junior Member
    Doing Better on Raw/Vegan - The Rawsome Diet!

I have not been here for a while, as the animal proteins and fats affected me badly - liver, pancreas and bowels I think, ie cystisis/bladder infections twice within two months, gums bleeding and swollen gums on lower teeth, hair became dryer, painful scalp, more fatigue, sluggish elimination and constipation, more moody/grumpy, more headaches/migraine.
    For now folks on this wonderful site, am having a go at raw vegan after obtaining a second book by the well known Dr Norman W. Walker, 'Vegetarian Guide to Diet and Salads'. One of his other books, 'Colon Health' was also excellent. I also have some books from Tonya (Raw Food Diet - Health and Natural Beauty). for now, I start the day with juice of one lemon around 6am, a fresh raw veggie juice about 7am, another fresh veg juice about 11:00am with some soaked nuts such as almonds, brazils, hazelnut, walnut, pecan. I may add fresh coconut soon. Around 3pm, I eat fresh fruit, then make a green smoothie - fruit blended with green leafy veg such as baby spinach or kale / sea vegetables ie wakame or arame, a smaller veggie juice (more celery and cucumber, with maybe a little apple and carrot) around 5:30pm. If I am away from home, I just take fruits/veg/salad - today I am out and have some fresh live sprouted mung bean sprouts with me in my lunch salad. I have more energy now, can focus well in the mornings especially, elimination is improving, sleep is getting better and deeper, mood is better, headaches are less, bleeding gums have stopped, my hair on scalp is getting fuller and softer, facial skin is softer, the night sweats have mostly disappeared (were getting worse with each year for several years; these sweats started when I was in my twenties so is not just due to menopause or hormonal issues). I get enough fat by eating olives, avocados, soaked nuts, and naturally occuring fats in fruit/veggies/sea veg. I don't need extra cholesterol as my body makes all that it needs already. I don't miss dairy or ghee at all - my liver and pancreas are happy to I am sure, and love it that I don't need to cook or wash up greasy pans or buy/cut up meats etc (well, this is how I feel now - I'm sure you will wish me the best as I move forward) saving on energy/utility bills. I am patient and continue to research on nutrition by reading, and know that as the months go by, my other issues and weight will normalise and improve. I hope to continue to still check in from time to time with this site as learning from others and Mark is good too. Best regards.

aussielady954 is offline Junior Member
    I don't think juicing is stressful on body, it actually gives the nervous & digestive systems a rest to that any disease process can be reversed by cells detoxing and nutrients from easily digested juices getting into the damaged cells. Norman W. Walker and Paul Bragg's books discuss this very well. I've done a lot of juicing and fasting in the past, and I highly recommend it, it even works on a spiritual/mental level too. the body does respond to live fresh foods, as only raw living foods are organic and recognised by the cells. So long as you have a wide range of fruits, vegetables, nuts, some seeds (esp sprouted), your body will make protein out of all the amino acids, plus the cleansing of the colon is so much better. Cooking destroys and changes the proteins and other nutrients. I think one day fasting a week good, plus 2 to 3 days at the change of each season; different opinions out there as to dry fasting, water fasting or juice fasting, depends on reasons for doing it and your own unique situation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast