Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10 day juice fast? (For a sick guy.) page 4

Jenni77 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    hey tzlogic,

in Germany we have something called "Heilfasten" oder "Wanderfasten" ("Healing Fast" + "Hiking Fast"). It is believed by a couple of doctors, that those kind of fasts might be benificial for your health. There are different kinds, but most places offer the "Buchinger"-Fast. Usually you stay 7 days on a resort in nature. The fast includes daily walks betweet 8-30 km (which if course are optional) and drinking of vegetable juices. At the beginning of the fast you will also have a colonig irrigation. I am planning on doing one of those fasts in the summer or autumn this year. I know a couple of people who do this once a year. The symptoms you decribe are very familliar to me, but many of them have improved through a paleo livestyle.

If you do this fast, I would recommend, that you find a doctor or institution that supervises you, espacially if you have a medical condition. Furthermore, the longer you have lived "paleo" before, the better. If you feel sick right now, and then put your body through a fast of 10 days instantly, that might be a bit hard. Also try to find out which foods are making your symptoms worse.

My plan to "cure" me is, to live Whole 30 (except nuts, nightshades, dairy and eggs) with three huge plates of vegetables and a bit of fruit each day, for the next months, and see how I go. When I feel better "nourished" I will attend the fast, to hopefully let my body heal himself a bit.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    I think a lot of us on here are trying to recover from illnesses or diseases caused by lifelong SAD eating (or prevent them) and we tend to use ourselves as test-subjects, trying out one protocol or another in order to find the one that works for us. So many conflicting arguments, right? How are we to know what's healthy, or not, what will cure us, or make us worse...?

I've been down the 'fasting' / detox route, and have done two in total. 7 days and 8 days. Honestly during the entire time I felt lousy. I was grumpy craving and hungry ALL the time, and the long-term side effects weren't good - indigestion, horrendously painful periods, and chronic fatigue. (It didn't help that I was also exercising like crazy, and burning the candle at both ends.) But it did take a long time to recover and for ages I wasn't right. (ended up having to have an endoscopy/colonoscopy, and PPIs for 1.5 years Until I eventually managed to come off them).

Is juicing and fasting healthy, does it 'detox' the body, and cure ailments? Sure, it might, for some people... but it didn't for me, and the way I see it, is, that it's totally unnecessary IF you're eating a clean, paleo/primal diet.

Stick to eating LOTS of vegetables, I meant like the bulk of your food. Supplement with good fat like avocados and EVOO, fish and seafood, a little red meat, some potatoes or other starchy vegetables, and some fruit. Only drink mineral water or herbal tea. Eat salads and make soup. Bone broth is a great starting point. eat curries and stews. Hearty, healthy, home cooked food.

Do THAT for 10 days, and you're already there! Really, I'm fully convinced that this is the healthiest route. It might take some TIME to get FULLY get rid of all your ailments, a year, two years, perhaps... But you'll start to see improvements, and feel better long before that, just by eating a clean paleo diet.

Make this your 10 day detox, and you're not feeling better at the end of it (even slightly) and don't want to carry on eating this way forever, I'd be really surprised.

Try to get some sunshine every day - this is really crucial! and get at least 8 hours sleep, more if necessary. This is when the body does is healing and repairing. go to bed early. Relish sleep. It is so undervalued!

Get lab tests done to see what your body is doing and if you need to supplement anything like Vid D, magnesium, iron.

I saw the video 'fat sick and nearly dead' too. Totally inspiring, and what essentially lead me to discover paleo/primal, for that I'm really grateful. But would I ever do a juice fast again, now that I'm completely paleo/primal? No chance!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
    “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't seem natural, this juicing of everything.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    why juice instead of whole fruit?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    why juice instead of whole fruit?
    Because a person can consume enormous quantities of fruit juice, while the fiber will limit consumption of whole fruit.

Hey, the more the better. It's magical.

It's actually diabetes in a glass, but who cares about that?

Even if it sounds right to eat that much vegetables and fruit, it didn't help me to get better. It helped me however understand my body. Not all vegetables/fruits are made for every person, they can actually make you sick, too. Eating that many eggs as promoted in the paleo-circles isn't good for everybody either. Everybody really needs to find out, what is good for him/her and what not. I have a much different experience with fasting and believe that it can also help. It helped me.

PS: Don't get me wrong, I eat a lot of vegetables. Tons of them. But this idea of promoting to eat avocado everyday is just wrong.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Some of the people you see on YouTube are drinking 3 quarts a day of (mostly) fruit juice. That's a lot of sugar if it's mostly fruit. And even if they were juicing mostly non-sweet vegetables like cabbage (which I doubt), the amount of fiber in eating 8 pounds of raw cabbage a day would be a killer.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    eKatherine, I just adore you !!! you just crack me up so often

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    OP, I'm probably just nitpicking at semantics here, but if you're juicing, you're not fasting. If I take a pizza and throw it in a blender, it will turn to liquid, but it will hardly be a fast. IMO, a fast is water for X days or hours. This is obviously not the opinion of the community at large.

Find foods that are easy for you to digest. Leave out processed foods, damaging grains, and bad oils. If liquefying those foods makes it easier for you, go for it.

It sounds like you've been through a lot for one so young. I wish you health.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234