Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exactly what is your ideal gene expression? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your fitness instructor sounds like a great person.

Gosh, I just got a look at my own back this morning. I don't normally look at the back of my body. I'm like rippled with muscle. I can see stuff moving in there under my skin. Wow! I don't even care what I weigh or that I'm not a waif. Look at that! Holy hell! I didn't even think something like that would happen to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your fitness instructor sounds like a great person.

Gosh, I just got a look at my own back this morning. I don't normally look at the back of my body. I'm like rippled with muscle. I can see stuff moving in there under my skin. Wow! I don't even care what I weigh or that I'm not a waif. Look at that! Holy hell! I didn't even think something like that would happen to me.
    I don't know you, my dear, but this post made me smile real big for you! You've earned your pride in this accomplishment.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    How wonderful for you SBhikes i am aiming and aiming for that !!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    My perfect jean expression is a 36 inch waist, 32 inch inseam, in a boot cut..... maybe a button fly jean....

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    I see this all over the site, and Mark talks about wanting people to reach their full genetic potential all the time. Specifically, he seems to want to make everyone as healthy as possible with the most palatable diet plan; hence the 80/20 rule. The one thing I've been wondering lately though, is when do I know if I'm where I'm supposed to be with this? I have a basic understanding of epigenetics, which Mark has mentioned is what he means by "reprogram your genes" What I Mean by “Reprogram Your Genes” | Mark's Daily Apple. but it seems to me that it is pretty hard to know if you are expressing the right genes. I also watched this talk by Dr. Doug Mcguff at the 21 convention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdJFbjWHEU I will quickly summarize the relevant part here since it is so long; he talks about how he (relatively) effortlessly looks the way he does by following primal and lifting weights once (or less) a week and says its because that is his ideal phenotype. He also states when you get to this ideal phenotype (by following his and Marks advice) you may be surprised its not what you want to look like, but you shouldn't attempt to stray too far from it since this is the best phenotype for you. In other words, you will attract more suitable partners looking like the healthiest, best version of you; not striving for a "swimmers body" if yours is completely different. My problem with this is, as I said before, how are you supposed to know if you are there? Or if you need to add in more or less exercise, be more or less strict with your diet, etc? There is a lot of variation even within this community of Mark's recommendations followers, and even McDuff states the exercises he recommends aren't the only ones to do, but are just an example of what you can do. So, how can you be sure?
    In less scientific terms, most people set health goals based upon what they see in bikini magazines, bodybuilder magazines, or actors/actresses in Hollywood. These aesthetics are not ideal measures of health. If you imagine yourself living as a hunter-gatherer, you'd quickly see why looking like a bikini model would be disadvantageous. That doesn't mean you 'get' to be a whale. If you do what is right for your body, you will be essentially programmed to best survive and thrive as a hunter-gatherer because that's what are our genes were designed to do. Also, our sexual attraction genes are from those days. That's probably why they say you will attract more of the opposite sex if you reach that 'optimum phenotype' level, rather than look like a bikini model, bodybuilder, or actor/actress.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I am tending to think that there is no single weight/body composition that is "perfect for me" but rather a range within which I can be both healthy and happy.

For example, I am both healthy and happy where I am at the moment. Yet I am aware that with more work I could become stronger, fitter more flexible. I probably won't do it though. After all, I'm not aiming for the Olympics here, just to be capable in my daily life.

Neither am I as lean as possible, but again I probably won't be aiming to lose any more fat, I look and feel just fine in my clothes.

In the other direction, maybe the day will come when I choose to maintain a little less muscle and perhaps even a little more fat in order to have a slightly "softer" appearance. I don't believe that would be any less (or more) "healthy" though.

Following primal principles has enabled me to gain understanding of my body and realise how much of this is actually within my own control. That's awesome.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I am tending to think that there is no single weight/body composition that is "perfect for me" but rather a range within which I can be both healthy and happy.
    That makes so much more sense than what I was thinking! Rather than there being this one ideal and who knows what that is, your take on it being a range is a lot more logical
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12