Thread: Buffalo Liver! page

j3nn is offline Senior Member

Buffalo Liver!

Not the liver of a buffalo, but grass-fed beef liver with Frank's red hot sauce. Just had this, I think it's really tasty!

I have been trying to eat 2 oz. liver 2x a week, small increments to keep from gagging.

What other sauces or flavorings taste good? I usually just dip in mustard, but I like to change things up for variety.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I used to cover it with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese. That hid the flavor pretty well. I either acclimated to the taste or my current supply is less overpoweringly liverey because I'm actually enjoying it just sauteed in some bacon fat these days.

Funny thing is I like the flavor of liver, but dislike the texture! It's too... creamy and "poppy." haha I'm like, 4.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think I prefer tuong.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I totally thought you mean the liver of a bison when I just read the title, lol. Liver is awesome stuff. I love it seared in bacon fat (like 30 seconds per side; my liver came sliced pretty thin) and topped with a little butter and caramelized onions. A little piece of bacon never hurt either.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Mom used to saute chicken livers with onion in sweet vermouth and serve it over rice. Sometimes she added crisp bacon to it. I still make it that way unless I don't have sweet vermouth in the house, but red wine works well, and even without it, the onions get sweet as they cook. Sometimes I want it as a snack instead, so I don't make the rice and I put the rest in the fridge. Take it out and run it through a food processor (you can add some butter or schmaltz to make it creamier) and either eat it with a spoon or dip an innocuous veggie into it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I totally thought you mean the liver of a bison when I just read the title, lol. Liver is awesome stuff. I love it seared in bacon fat (like 30 seconds per side; my liver came sliced pretty thin) and topped with a little butter and caramelized onions. A little piece of bacon never hurt either.
    Never tried it with bacon or onions! I usually just pan fry it in butter or ghee. This time I dry baked it out of laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Mom used to saute chicken livers with onion in sweet vermouth and serve it over rice. Sometimes she added crisp bacon to it. I still make it that way unless I don't have sweet vermouth in the house, but red wine works well, and even without it, the onions get sweet as they cook. Sometimes I want it as a snack instead, so I don't make the rice and I put the rest in the fridge. Take it out and run it through a food processor (you can add some butter or schmaltz to make it creamier) and either eat it with a spoon or dip an innocuous veggie into it.
    I like the vermouth and rice idea!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Funny thing is I like the flavor of liver, but dislike the texture! It's too... creamy and "poppy." haha I'm like, 4.
    I totally agree about this. Making pate' takes care of the texture issue and you can cook up a big batch and have some whenever.

Some good suggestions in this thread.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65193.html

Megatron is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yum! I usually only eat calf liver, buffalo sounds awesome!

I fry mine with a LOT of onions, 3-4 strips of bacon, and only very quickly on each side- it's delicious this way!