Thread: Cramping in adductor of one thigh during slow run-what do I do? page

jmsmall is offline Senior Member

Cramping in adductor of one thigh during slow run-what do I do?

Shop Now
    Have been doing slow running alternating with walking, and I sometimes have a crampy pain that comes in adductor region, upper left inner thigh. It's near that major tendon. Last night it flat out cramped, hurt pretty bad, so I walked back home. What to do?
    1. Even more magnesium--I take 800 mg of Magnesium oxide daily.
    2. Calcium? Sodium?
    Thing about it is, I don't get a lot of cramps anywhere else which to me makes electrolytes a bit less likely.
    3. Stretching the area?
    4. Strengthening the area?
    5. Massage?
    6. Warm up a lot more, or warm up differently? (I'm 58, and usually do a 5 minute walk, accelerating from slow to regular, and then do a couple of 30 second jogs during warmup. Sometimes also will do a Pilates 100's.)

Any thoughts out there?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hi. stregthening the area through squats is a great idea.

also, even though stretching is out of vogue (but mobility is all the rage), it will help.

are you eating really low carb? cramps are pretty typical in that case...

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Have been squatting a lot more. Also, yes, fairly low carb which is why I supplement Mg and Na.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmall View Post
    Have been squatting a lot more. Also, yes, fairly low carb which is why I supplement Mg and Na.
    yeah, carbs will clear up those low-carb cramps. man, when i was in keto land i was pounding the magnesium & potassium supplements and drinking salty broth constantly, all just trying to feel normal. seems really weird now.

RyanIPT is offline Junior Member
    Some general thoughts...

Finding a good body worker/massage therapist might be a good idea to loosen up specific tight spots in the muscle and he/she can give you some feedback on how the muscle feels compared to the other side (tight, just fine, etc). Stretching may be too broad, but you could try that pre-run and see how it feels.

If you can find someone to assess the strength of other muscles crossing the hip that might be worthwhile. The adductor muscle group has a lot of overlapping function with the glutes, hip flexors and is an important lateral stabilizer so it can end up doing the job of other muscles that may not be keeping up...and overwork itself to injury. I would look at gluteus maximus and gluteus medius strength in particular as these muscles are frequently weak and can leave the adductors quite unhappy. You can also add 'muscle strength test' to glute max and glute med and find some ideas on how to have a friend test you. Compare left to right and see if there's a difference. Often it can be quite obvious.
    Let's make exercise smarter. Integrativepersonaltraining.com