Thread: The last few, I thought I'd finaly ask for your opinion page

Graycat is offline Senior Member

The last few, I thought I'd finaly ask for your opinion

A bit of back-story:

VLC - ketosis from March '11 till April '12. Lost around 35 lbs. during that period. 95% Primal since April of last year.

Current diet and stats:

1300 - 1500 calories daily. Protein - 80 - 90g. Carbs around 100g. sometimes a little less. Carb refeed about once a week or so, around 250g. - bananas, sweet potatoes, other fruit, raw honey, dark chocolate, white rice on occasion. On days I go high-carb, I lower fat to offset calories. Used to overeat few times per month, no longer feel compulsion to do that. Yay! I also do a version of IF where I have 2 meals most days. A small one in the early afternoon and a large dinner, usually before 7. I log everything I eat into an online USDA entries calculator. I'm positive I'm not underreporting my calorie intake.
    Very little dairy, mostly just cream in morning coffee. Nuts only on occasion. I eat at least 1/3 cup of coconut milk a day, sometimes twice that (with cocoa, yum).
    34yo, healthy, no meds, no hormonal BC. Supplements - fish oil, 2000 IU vit D3, pro-biotic, Magnesium citrate at night.

My 5% leeway:
    sadly diet soda, but maybe just one or 2 servings a week. Processed meats, on occasion.

Exercise:

Running - 4 to 6 mi. 5 days a week. Tons of slow movement and standing on my feet, some heavy lifting, but not as a structured exercise, recently started incorporating sprints too, push ups and sit ups whenever I feel like, which is maybe 3 - 4 times a week.
    I would describe myself as fairly active.

My problem:
    While I've seen lots of improvement, I still have maybe a few pounds of excess body fat on me. Most of it on my thighs and my hmm, you know "baby's got back" and some on my lower abs too. I realize it's more of a vanity thing, but it really bothers me. After all this time eating well and exercising. I feel that for the effort I put into this, I should be getting better results by now. KWIM?

I used this Health-calc - Energy expenditure adv. online calculator and it looks like I am very much in a calorie deficit. Why am I not losing weight anymore then? I used to believe in CICO, now I'm just not sure? Could my metabolic rate have slowed down considerably and it is preventing me from losing more body fat?

I would really appreciate any input on how to shed the last few pounds. And quitting running is not an option.
    Last edited by Graycat; 03-08-2013 at 09:43 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Could my metabolic rate have slowed down considerably and it is preventing me from losing more body fat?
    Yes, if CI is nailed down, then CO must be the issue.

My thoughts: Eat more. Lift heavier.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    It's so hard to say what's going on. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm at 12% body fat with a goal of 9%. My current plan to get there is to increase muscle mass through sandbag and bodyweight training (where previously I was doing almost none of this).

At 12%, I'm perfectly healthy looking. But I always strive to do better.

Could you get there by increasing carbs more often and reducing fat? Some people say yes.
    Could you get there by increasing lifting and decreasing running? Some people say yes.
    Could you get there by increasing calories? Some people say yes.
    Could you get there by ditching the last bit of diet soda, cream (perhaps it's the dairy?), and nuts? Some people say yes.
    Could you get there by sleeping better? Maybe.
    Could you get there by reducing stress in daily life? Maybe.

It could be any of those things or none of those things or a combination thereof. At this point, I think it's all about personal testing. You're going to have to start throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks. If you had great genetics you'd probably get to your goal without much additional effort. But if you're like me, I've found that I'm predisposed to needing to be more careful in every regard.

I think it's time for some n=1 experiments.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for your replies. I figure it will take some experimenting.
    Upon rereading my post, it kind of appears maybe a little shallow. I want to clarify. I'm not really after the "shredded" fitness model look or the boney wire hangers in a plastic bag runway model one. Women are supposed to have certain amount of body fat, naturally. Just wanna get rid of the accumulated stuff that still appears excessive.