Thread: Just another example of PCRM skewing the facts about meat page

grokgramma is offline Member

Just another example of PCRM skewing the facts about meat

Someone put a link to this post on the PCRM website on my Facebook. Just in case you are unfamiliar with the organization, PCRM stand for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine headed up by Neal Barnard, a physchiatrist. The group is vegan and closely linked to PETA. He is commenting about a recent report about processed meat being linked to cancer and heart disease. It does not implicate all red meat, only processed meats with lots of preservatives includinng nitrates. I personally wouldn't eat any processed meats until I found unsmoked bacon without preservatives. As far as sausage goes, I make my own sausage. The report in question does not condemn all meat, only unnaturally processed meat full of chemicals and preservatives and yet the vegetarians are having a hey day with it.

PCRM | More Evidence That Red and Processed Meats Are Deadly
    Last edited by grokgramma; 03-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokgramma View Post
    Someone put a link to this post on the PCRM website on my Facebook. Just in case you are unfamiliar with the organization, PCRM stand for the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine headed up by Neal Barnard, a physchiatrist. The group is vegan and closely linked to PETA. He is comenting about a recent report about processed meat being linked to cancer and heart disease. It does not implicate all red meat, only processed meats with lots of preservatives includinng nitrates. I personally wouldn't eat any processed meats until I found unsmoked bacon without preservatives. As far as sausage goes, I make my own sausage. The report in question does not condemn all meat, only unnaturally processed meat full of chemicals and preservatives and yet the vegetarians are having a hey day with it.
    It's called pork belly. Yum.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

PCRM are volatile wingnuts. Avoid.

grokgramma is offline Member
    Yep, I was taken in by such wingnuts myself for 2 years. I followed Dr. McDougall, Dr. Barnard and others like them. I not only did not solve my health problems by eating a vegan diet, my health problems actually got worse! I have been paleo/primal for about 3 weeks now and feeling much better. I did a little experiment this week by adding grains back for just 2 days and sure enough my gastro-intestinal issues returned and I gained back 2 lbs. in only 2 days! That was truly an eye opener for me. People can lose weight on a vegan plan like Dr. Barnard and PCRM pushes, but it's at the expense of their health.