Thread: post workout carbs page

Ripped is offline Senior Member

post workout carbs

Primal Fuel
    Recently I tried eating more carbs after my workouts. And I must say, there definitely is something to it. It's made me noticeably stronger within a few weeks.

The problem I noticed is, if you overdo it, it can lead to too much weight gain. I'm sure that shouldn't surprise you.

But anyways, I think it can definitely be helpful if you have the rest of your diet in check and you don't overdo it. My bet is that the best way to do it without having to count calories would be just to eat a bunch of fruits post workout.

Some fruits such as bananas and mangos can be high in sugars and calories, but not way too high such as that in which you would expect from typical junk foods.

If I were doing 100% paleo, I think that would be the ideal way to do it.

Other than that, I've read some new literature where they give dietary recommendations telling you to eat what ever you want. But I am convinced that is just marketing nonsense. That's how they sell stuff to people. But such would clearly result in fat gain.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes and normal potatoes are great! Better than fruit cause they are less sugary, and taste better. I love having cold sweet potatoes with a hot coffee after a workout/run.

Heth is offline Member
    Cold starches like sweet potatoes have resistant starch so the carbs aren't getting into your muscles. Just saying.

I recently tried a more LeanGains-esque approach, eating low fat and high carb on workout days but I was quite bloated, water retention I believe. I think a lot of carbs post workout are only really necessary if you're working out quite intensely, not for the half hour weights I do. I've given up the LG trial but am still having a shake PWO that is just coconut water and protein powder which seems to hit the spot (and the easiest thing to take to the gym).
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Sweet potatoes and normal potatoes are great! Better than fruit cause they are less sugary, and taste better. I love having cold sweet potatoes with a hot coffee after a workout/run.
    I love sweet potatoes!!! But I just don't think it fits a high carb meal. Well, at least just not boiled. It fills you up too much.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I typically do the same. I stay low carb throughout the day, and partition the majority of my carbs (sweet potatoes, squash, ripe bananas, etc.) post workout.

It works great for me.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Heth View Post
    Cold starches like sweet potatoes have resistant starch so the carbs aren't getting into your muscles. Just saying.

I recently tried a more LeanGains-esque approach, eating low fat and high carb on workout days but I was quite bloated, water retention I believe. I think a lot of carbs post workout are only really necessary if you're working out quite intensely, not for the half hour weights I do. I've given up the LG trial but am still having a shake PWO that is just coconut water and protein powder which seems to hit the spot (and the easiest thing to take to the gym).
    I wouldn't say it's necessary at all. In fact, I think it's definitely a horrible idea for anyone who's main goal is fat loss and they have a lot to lose.

However, from a muscle building standpoint only, look at it this way. There is a reason why pro bodybuilders inject insulin. It's because it's the most anabolic hormone. So just as how for example, it's better for testosterone to have enough fats in the body, and it does make a noticeable difference (not to be comparable to the difference that's made with actual drug use), you can also make a difference and take advantage of the affects of insulin if you stimulate it at the ideal time after your workout when your body is already giving the muscles the signal to grow and repair.

As I already discussed, this actually does work in real world practice. But it's bad for you because insulin spikes are bad for you and too much makes you fat. That's only if you overdo it though. I honestly believe it would be hard to overdo it with natural foods however. I mean, what's a few sweet potatoes with your meal and a few pieces of fruit for dessert? Not too much.

Also, about the leangains thing, I just don't like the calorie counting. I'm sure it works. But I just don't think counting calories every day is a way to live. I'd much rather be more relaxed and flexible than that.
    Last edited by Ripped; 03-08-2013 at 06:55 AM.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Definitely stick to sweet potatoes and regular potatoes over fruit - fruit mainly has vitamin C, and a few anti-oxidants throw in. Potatoes are full of both vitamins and minerals, and can be prepared any number of ways. My personal favorite is a pound of boiled potatoes, mashed up with pastured butter, ACV, and sea salt, and washed down with a full glass of raw milk - another PWO carb that's great to consume, even for people who may not be able to handle pasteurized dairy (raw milk has both lactose and lactase, which, in some cases, nullifies the negative effects of lactose)
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    I wouldn't say it's necessary at all. In fact, I think it's definitely a horrible idea for anyone who's main goal is fat loss and they have a lot to lose.

However, from a muscle building standpoint only, look at it this way. There is a reason why pro bodybuilders inject insulin. It's because it's the most anabolic hormone. So just as how for example, it's better for testosterone to have enough fats in the body, and it does make a noticeable difference (not to be comparable to the difference that's made with actual drug use), you can also make a difference and take advantage of the affects of insulin if you stimulate it at the ideal time after your workout when your body is already giving the muscles the signal to grow and repair.

As I already discussed, this actually does work in real world practice. But it's bad for you because insulin spikes are bad for you and too much makes you fat. That's only if you overdo it though. I honestly believe it would be hard to overdo it with natural foods however. I mean, what's a few sweet potatoes with your meal and a few pieces of fruit for dessert? Not too much.

Also, about the leangains thing, I just don't like the calorie counting. I'm sure it works. But I just don't think counting calories every day is a way to live. I'd much rather be more relaxed and flexible than that.
    agreed. except its not insulin spikes that make you fat. its chronically elevated insulin levels that are the problem. and excess calories that make you fat
    Last edited by not on the rug; 03-08-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    agreed. except its not insulin spikes that make you fat. its chronically elevated insulin levels that are the problem.
    This is the truth.

Also, worth mentioning that you're in a particularly insulin-sensitive state post-workout. If there's ever a time you want an insulin spike, that's it.