Thread: Losing the spare tire page

jpatrickclark is offline Member

Losing the spare tire

Shop Now
    The only fat I have resides just above my waist. I have been trying to work it off for far too long. I'm on my feet all day and work performing physical jobs. I work out regularly. I have been doing a better job with my diet. But, I clearly am still not doing something right as the spare tire just keeps hanging on. Has anyone else had this same problem in the past and now finally beaten it? If so, what specific diet plans did you follow to help you burn off the spare tire fat once and for all?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Intermittent fasting seems to work for a lot of people, and HIIT.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Maybe do some lifting. It has made a difference for me. Not perfect but better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

vtphoenix is offline Member
    Do you have stores of fat elsewhere? Perhaps on your thighs, or arms?

I haven't quite gotten rid of the bit of fat on my stomach and a little bit of love-handles, but my experience has shown that it seems to be the last to go. I didn't notice any changes in it until I had virtually no fat on my legs/arms. Now it seems to be dissipating. If I were to guess, you may be a bit of a hardgainer like me. I work out, but don't really put on any muscle. I've been getting stronger, but not necessarily bigger, and I think that plays a part in that disappearing.

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Get more sunlight. Spend more time in nature. Eat whole foods. And get 8 hours of sleep per night in a blacked out room. If you do all that and still have a spare tire, then chances are your body will be ready for some HIIT and/or IF.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

otzi Guest
    I don't know your age or background, but if you are a 40+ male who has had a spare tire most of his life, chances are you will always battle it.

The best way to get rid of it as to eat a very healthy PB diet that doesn't lead to weight gain. Stay on maintenance calories for 6 months or so, then do some calorie cutting, IF'ing, potato dieting, whatever for a couple months to cut some fat. Then return to a maintenance diet for another 6 months. Constant calorie deprivation will not help your situation long-term. Also do waht Paul119 said above.

Some will say that excess belly fat in males is a sign of hormone imbalance, namely estrogen and testosterone, these can be helped by ensuring you are not under a lot of stress, sleeping well, and having a good Vit D status, which must be assessed by blood work.

neilc11 is offline Senior Member
    still drinkin beer, aren't you ?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I found the IF helped there, doing a 20/4 protocol.
    But for most guys as soon as you slack of a bit that's the first place to add back.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is not severe, internal health is more important and image driven health is usually based on unhealthy stereotypes.
    In addition with a history of unhealthy eating it will take between 2-4 years for your body to re-balance the lipid profile in both cell membranes and adipose tissue and we have no idea how this is affecting hormonal signalling in the body, so rather than aggravating this signalling by artificially pushing weight reduction my preference is to push health from within by good diet, lifestyle, exercise etc. and let the body find it's healthiest place.