Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat your legumes. page 8

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth826 View Post
    dear everyone who "misses chilli,"

real chilli does not have beans in it. So you don't have to miss chilli. You might miss the bs you used to call chilli, but actual chilli is still on the table.
    word!

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    And more straw men. Nobody's grouping anything under any "gluten umbrella" There's avenin, there's zein, there's phytic acid, there's lectins. There's plenty of other reasons people tend to be wary of grains, whether gluten-containing or otherwise. If it turns out that those fears are unfounded, please provide the evidence. But in the meantime, explain how we're increasing our risk of illness by avoiding them. That's what Joanie's question asked.
    Actually, the burden of proof is on those saying they are all detrimental to everybody, because properly prepared grains have been shown to be healthful to many cultures, especially Blue Zone pockets. Most foods have negative consequences in the wrong context, but it's the whole picture that matters most. I think rancid and high PUFA nuts and seed oils are way worse than almost all grains. Yet, nuts are ubiquitous in Paleo communities regardless of their negative qualities. almost very Paleo cookbook on the market features nut recipes. There seems to be a lot of double standards and contradictions occurring, and that's what this discussion is really about: are some foods excluded for bad reasons or not?
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    I'm in the "why do I need them?" camp. Animal foods are superior in every way. But, I can tolerate them if they are traditionally prepared by soaking.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Actually, the burden of proof is on those saying they are all detrimental to everybody, because properly prepared grains have been shown to be healthful to many cultures, especially Blue Zone pockets.
    The hell it is. I don't have to prove something's harmful to decide that I'd rather not risk eating it.

Most foods have negative consequences in the wrong context, but it's the whole picture that matters most. I think rancid and high PUFA nuts and seed oils are way worse than almost all grains.
    I think that too. Your point?

Yet, nuts are ubiquitous in Paleo communities regardless of their negative qualities. almost very Paleo cookbook on the market features nut recipes. There seems to be a lot of double standards and contradictions occurring, and that's what this discussion is really about: are some foods excluded for bad reasons or not?
    Hence my comment that the original article made me more likely to avoid nuts rather than include legumes.

Have fun trolling. I'm off for weekend fun.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Rich, you and bloodorchid are trolls!
    your font looks like it contains negatives emotions when you type it like that

Yeah, but we are the cool trolls. We sit in the back of the troll bus and are very exclusive about who we allow to sit at our troll lunch table. And our jeans are Jordache.
    liiiiek, excuse me but my jeans are tommy hilfiger, uhkay

one of the few downsides of rural living, i have to travel to do fun things

maaan... *kicks rocks*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

The hell it is. I don't have to prove something's harmful to decide that I'd rather not risk eating it.
    No one is saying you have to eat anything. The question is why does everybody have to avoid certain foods that they either a) like and/or b) find beneficial just because Paleo protocol says so. There has not been proof that this is universally true for all foods excluded by Paleo, nor for everybody. If legumes are less harmful than nuts, why are nuts generally embraced by Paleo proponents? Do you really think Paleo should exclude one more thing (nuts)?

I know that Paleo has become a religion for many people, and people do not like their faith challenged, but these are valid questions. They do not mean someone is trolling. Questioning things is how we learn.

SMH.
    Last edited by j3nn; 03-08-2013 at 02:31 PM.

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    j3nn, no, I really wasn't insinuating anything. I was asking just that question. I'm honestly not sure if there is such a thing as perfect health. How is it measured? Is a fat person who is loved, loves, has a great job, and wakes every morning happy to greet the day imperfectly healthy if all their blood work, etc. is within healthy ranges? Is a person who looks like an underwear model, works out at the gym, but binges on pizza and alcohol healthier?

Anyway, I really was just asking the question as asked. There are plenty of foods I avoid by choice, and some I eat even though they might not be the optimum choice. I could go my whole life without scallops, sweet potatoes, and apples. It doesn't mean I think those foods are good or bad for me. But I was wondering if others felt there was real nutritional necessity to grains and legumes.

Also, Leida, thank you, and I totally understand that POV.

Rich, you and bloodorchid are trolls!
    Joanie, I think if we put every food under the microscope we'd question if we'd be healthy (or healthier) without it. Would never eating spinach again make me ill? Probably not. It's what you are choosing instead that matters more than the near infinite combinations that yield the same or similar results.

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    The only time i eat beans is when i make refried beans, i havent been able to quit them but then again i start my refrieds with a pound of bacon
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    legumes = gas
    cabbage = gas
    mushrooms = gas + gas
    parmesan cheese = gas + cramps
    brussel sprouts = gas
    cakes and cookies = bloating + gas
    unpeeled peppers = gas
    milk = bloating + gas
    probably more things I can't think of right now = gas

And chili without beans? There really is no other way.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's no possible way to read that into the question. That's why you're considered a troll.
    Just because she has a different opinion than you doesn't mean she's a troll. Is this your first internet forum? Because you haven't seen shit if you think someone as polite as j3nn is a troll.

If she gets a rise out of you simply for disagreeing, the problem is you, not her. I could teach all of you a thing or two about true trolling.
    nihil

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast