Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat your legumes. page 7

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    quit pointing them out and I won't need to make excuses.
    Youre welcome
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Question to all. Does anyone here believe that by not eating grains and legumes, we will make ourselves ill?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think I might, by avoiding staple grain of my growing up, the buckwheat. It probably what gave me the magnesium without having to swallow the pills. I also triggered insatiable hunger and binging problem by eliminating starches and fruit. So, yes, I think over-eliminating foods made me sick from where I was healthy when I tried to go an extra mile from the whole foods diet into Paleo/Primal.

When I look back at my post-preg diet changes, I come to the conclusion that moderate whole foods was when I was the healthiest and the happiest and I screw it.

I am keeping fingers crossed I can heal by going back to simple non extreme eating.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Question to all. Does anyone here believe that by not eating grains and legumes, we will make ourselves ill?
    Other than the trolls?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Depends. Are you insinuating that excluding all grains and legumes automatically equates to perfect health?

I think it's wrong to group all grains under the gluten umbrella when gluten grains only account for a few.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Depends. Are you insinuating that excluding all grains and legumes automatically equates to perfect health?
    There's no possible way to read that into the question. That's why you're considered a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I think it's wrong to group all grains under the gluten umbrella when gluten grains only account for a few.
    And more straw men. Nobody's grouping anything under any "gluten umbrella" There's avenin, there's zein, there's phytic acid, there's lectins. There's plenty of other reasons people tend to be wary of grains, whether gluten-containing or otherwise. If it turns out that those fears are unfounded, please provide the evidence. But in the meantime, explain how we're increasing our risk of illness by avoiding them. That's what Joanie's question asked.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't make sense that you'd be sick, from a scientific stand point. You're avoiding things that don't benefit you.

I do NOT think that complete and total avoidance is necessary, personally, and it's not the way I live. I just limit when I can and don't sweat it when I can't. I grew up eating bread and butter practically everyday, with a repeat between lunch and dinner (it was somewhat of a custom growing up in my part of Peru to have bread, butter and coffee or hot chocolate or milk between 4 and 6pm, especially during the summer months when the kids were ... OUTSIDE, PLAYING!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?!??!) Obviously, I don't live this way anymore. I may have bread once a week if I'm having breakfast by my parents house, but it's stuffed with meat... however most of the time I just have the meat.

I didn't feel bad or sick when I was a little kid, because overall our diet was pretty wholesome. Yeah we ate a lot of rice, but we had animal protein with it most of the time. I didn't have the same access to junk food as kids here do, so overall we were as healthy as our circumstances allowed.

When I read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston Price, he always made it a point that it's heavily processed food that's the issue. He surveyed many different cultures, and very few of them were "paleo" by our standards. Some relied on bread and milk, others on rice and legumes, etc. Yet they were all were in good health until they, for whatever reason, started consuming more processed foods and moving away from their traditional diets.

Reading that book made me relax a lot more. I know I'm not a Scandinavian making my own bread and drinking milk straight out of my own cow, but I'm making the best choices I can consistently.

Sorry for the essay! To answer your question, no I think you can be 100% primal and be healthier than my 80/20 (.... 70/30...60/40...) and not "make yourself sick" by eating ONLY meat/veggies, etc. It just doesn't make sense. You have all your nutrients covered and you're taking care not to take in any anti-nutrients or toxins.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    j3nn, no, I really wasn't insinuating anything. I was asking just that question. I'm honestly not sure if there is such a thing as perfect health. How is it measured? Is a fat person who is loved, loves, has a great job, and wakes every morning happy to greet the day imperfectly healthy if all their blood work, etc. is within healthy ranges? Is a person who looks like an underwear model, works out at the gym, but binges on pizza and alcohol healthier?

Anyway, I really was just asking the question as asked. There are plenty of foods I avoid by choice, and some I eat even though they might not be the optimum choice. I could go my whole life without scallops, sweet potatoes, and apples. It doesn't mean I think those foods are good or bad for me. But I was wondering if others felt there was real nutritional necessity to grains and legumes.

Also, Leida, thank you, and I totally understand that POV.

Rich, you and bloodorchid are trolls!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Rich, you and bloodorchid are trolls!
    Yeah, but we are the cool trolls. We sit in the back of the troll bus and are very exclusive about who we allow to sit at our troll lunch table. And our jeans are Jordache.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    There's no possible way to read that into the question. That's why you're considered a troll.
    dude, just stop there. I am not a troll. Saying so is making yourself look stupid.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast