Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat your legumes. page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I agree that nut and legumes are the same thing and it is odd to call one evil while the other - good. I think it depends on how you structure your diet, around fats or carbohydrates, your need for fibre, your satiation mechanism, digestion specifics and the tendency to overeat one or another if you should include or exclude either and how often.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I can see more arguments for eliminating nuts than including legumes.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes eat petit pois, runner beans, french beans, occasionally broad beans and SWMBO gives me baked beans once a week.

I believe our ancestors would have eaten whatever was available in season. Our problem is total year round availability that can cause over indulgences leading to problems.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

I can see more arguments for eliminating nuts than including legumes.
    I am leaning the other way - too many eliminations with no reason can be harmful, as we simply cannot know what our body manages to take out of each food. Eliminating without cause a staple food could lead to accumulation of a deficiency... In other words, if it ain't harmful, don't drop it. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am leaning the other way - too many eliminations with no reason can be harmful, as we simply cannot know what our body manages to take out of each food. Eliminating without cause a staple food could lead to accumulation of a deficiency... In other words, if it ain't harmful, don't drop it. But that's just me.
    But it is harmful. The argument is that nuts are as harmful as legumes. That's not an argument to include legumes, it's an argument to limit nuts.

Mayber. Maybe not. Legumes and nuts are all very different in their macro-comp. Nuts have one thing going against them that legumes do not - nuts are very easy to overeat as they are not satiating at all, and most of them are high in PUFA. Legumes are not easy to overeat and they do wonders for satiation in a number of people. Legimes are food, nuts are a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Mayber. Maybe not. Legumes and nuts are all very different in their macro-comp. Nuts have one thing going against them that legumes do not - nuts are very easy to overeat as they are not satiating at all, and most of them are high in PUFA. Legumes are not easy to overeat and they do wonders for satiation in a number of people. Legimes are food, nuts are a treat.
    Peanuts and beans can be pretty easy to overeat, but I get what you're saying. I think it's a minor point honestly. There are certainly valid points to both sides of the argument, and there are certainly worse things you could be eating.

I hope you're as happy with your decision to eat legumes as I am with my decision (mostly) not to.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Except for peanuts, legumes are pretty much tasteless to me.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    Dear everyone who "misses chilli,"

Real chilli does not have beans in it. So you don't have to miss chilli. You might miss the bs you used to call chilli, but ACTUAL chilli is still on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    Same for me, plus they taste terrible and have a really unpleasant texture.
    I agree, I never cared for the texture of beans. Didn't eat them when I ate SAD, not going to eat them now.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

Elizabeth, Texan version of chili does not include legumes, however, there is a wide variety of stews spiced with chili that include legumes, including peanuts. Extending a stew with beans or lentils makes it more economical and more satiating for a lot of peoples. As well, it is tastier for some - personal preference, of course.

This argument is rather ike the argument of 'you can't have a potato in your stew, put a turnip instead.'

I think initial inclusion of nuts was due to very severe limitations of the inital Paleo diet. Basically back at the inception, it had no satiating substances at all for those who need starch to satiate. There was prohibition on tubers, to the extant of exclusion of carrots and radishes; there was no 'safe starches' at all, there was no sugar in any form, basically it was really about what grows above ground. In addition, initial Paleo also cut fats as well. Because of the chemicals, dry fruit was also out of limits. It was a very hungry diet. So, they had to add something, so they added nuts.

Well, that's what I think.

Since Corbain, Paleo developped into inclusion territory far more than into exclusion territory. The only notable recent exclusion that I can think of are canola and flax, though DeVinci advocated no seeds at all (somehow they were toxic while nuts weren't).

EDIT: What i am trying to say is that personal experience is the key for me.
    Richard, I remember how I first ate beans after reading 4-Hour body, with shaking hands, thinking I have committed a Primal Sin. The universe did not implode. I eat beans once in a while since then and not as a main dish... I do like pea soup once in a winter, and stews with lentils and kale. I like eggplant caviar better than hummus, but whatever.
    Last edited by Leida; 03-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast