Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat your legumes. page 2

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Legumes give me gas. If I want to add bulk to my nacho chilli-mix, I'll dice some carrots and mushrooms, maybe broccoli, but beans not so much.

Peanut butter... I like peanut butter. Goes good with most things - bananas, apples, spoons, etc. Hard to beat. Can't say I like it better than almond butte, in fact I like them about equally. Just depends how I feel at the time.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I miss falafal and hummous occasionally but can live without legumes...and the gas they cause. And as has already been said, I'm healthier than I've ever been, without them in my diet.

I just figure that anything that has to be soaked and then boiled to within an inch of its life for hours to be digested by humans, probably wasn't intended to be digested by humans. I guess it's the same argument against grains which also have to be fairly heavily processed to be digestible.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Dr Clyde doesn't exactly look all that lean does he..over 15% BF I reckon..
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    I personally don't eat them anymore as well, might nasty things they are. I used to put them in my chili but looking something else to replace them.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Seekins View Post
    Dr Clyde doesn't exactly look all that lean does he..over 15% BF I reckon..
    I said the same thing about Robert Lustig, except he's more like 38% bodyfat with 18% of that being in his face.
    nihil

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Legumes give me gas. If I want to add bulk to my nacho chilli-mix, I'll dice some carrots and mushrooms, maybe broccoli, but beans not so much.
    You answered my chili question, thanks!

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derpamix View Post
    i said the same thing about robert lustig, except he's more like 38% bodyfat with 18% of that being in his face.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Paleo exclusion of legumes is bullshit, but many people here just follow the crowd. I don't eat legumes though, they give me terrible gas.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I would agree that the argument against legumes is one of the weaker ones in Paleo.
    Although, you can't argue with the fact that they're gassy.

I am mostly just following the crowd by not eating them right now. Will I avoid them forever? I don't know. I didn't eat that many to begin with except peanut butter, so it might not matter.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Itchy, FYI, it takes a while to identify who the semi-trolls on the board are. They pretend to be primal but will post some stealthy anti-primal study, hoping to convince some primals to revert to semi-CW. The original poster is one of these.

IMO legumes should be in the 20%. I am so accustomed to red kidney beans in chili that it feels weird to leave them out. And I like occasional hummus. I don't feel the need for any other legumes.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast