Thread: Honey Based Sauce for Steak? page

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member

Honey Based Sauce for Steak?

Shop Now
    Hi!

I have this amazing jar of raw honey.
    I have this amazing steak.

I am convinced these things should mate and become a delicious honey steak party in my mouth.

It is very difficult though, to find honey-based sauce recipes online - they seem to almost always involve soy sauce and be asiany in general. I don't know that I am looking for an asian taste, but I do have coconut aminos on hand if that is all there is.

Any suggestions?

This seemed a possibility, minus the splenda. Why would it need splenda? *shrug*

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    some variation of barbeque or teriyaki is what you are looking for I would think. honey mustard?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I put a raspberry sauce with balsamic and wine over steak tonight, but it certainly could have used a bit of sweetener.

What about like a honey butter, but melted so it's a sauce? Maybe with a bit of black pepper in it?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mm yes all of that sounds good.

What I think I may end up doing, because I'm feeling frugal this week, is use lots of butter (more than normal) when I cook the steak, and maybe put a few cloves of garlic in the pan as well. Then when I take the steak out to let it rest, I will reduce the heat and some stock to the pan and then the honey and p'raps some spices.

Just making it up as I go along seems the most enticing option right now. xD I will report back on how it goes tomorrow!

PrimalRanger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Hi!

I have this amazing jar of raw honey.
    I have this amazing steak.

I am convinced these things should mate and become a delicious honey steak party in my mouth.

It is very difficult though, to find honey-based sauce recipes online - they seem to almost always involve soy sauce and be asiany in general. I don't know that I am looking for an asian taste, but I do have coconut aminos on hand if that is all there is.

Any suggestions?

This seemed a possibility, minus the splenda. Why would it need splenda? *shrug*

1/2 cup soy sauce (Coconut aminos)
    3 Tablespoons honey
    2 Tablespoon vinegar
    1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or fresh cloves
    1 Tablespoon ginger
    3/4 cup oil
    1 green onion chopped
    1 1/2 pounds Flank

Initially this recipe was a Pre-Primal recipe handed down to me from my father. It is very delicious and when i decide to grill a delicious steak this is THE one. I always receive great compliments with this as. if this is cooked correctly the steak literally melts in your mouth. Haven't tried this with the aminos but seeing that it is only a marinated it is a great indulgence with the Soy but i would be interested in feedback with the aminos.
    Preparation:
    1. Chop green onions very fine and combine all ingredients in the ziplock.
    2. Lay flank flat and thoroughly poke both sides with a fork.
    3. Marinate in all ingredients at least 4 hours typically i do in a gallon ziplock and squeeze the air out -- preferably 8 (overnight for best results)
    Grill over a charcoal grill. Cook to medium rare. Remove steak from grill and let rest for 20mins. Slice diagonally. Bon Appetite. !!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with soy sauce? Use tamari instead. I buy San-J tamari. Non-GMO, gluten free, naturally fermented. Nothing wrong with it if you're not allergic. I'd take it 100 times out of 100 over a tiny $9 of coconut aminos.

If you want a non-Asian inspired BBQ sauce, tomato paste makes a good base.

Cook onion and garlic in a small amount of butter, maybe a teaspoon or so, just to caramelize them a bit. Add tomato paste, thin it with some apple cider vinegar and maybe beef broth. Cook it low and slow for a little bit to reduce it. Add a drop or two of liquid smoke. That's essentially your base. Whatever else you flavor it with is up to you.

Add the honey at the very end while it's still warm. Don't cook it or you pretty much defeat the purpose of using raw honey.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I had an amazing honey sauce that was just honey, vinegar, and salt. It was actually served on deep fried sweet potatoes.

Thanks for the great suggestions y'all. I'm very excited to try this experiment tonight! For BBQ sauce I usually buy a local one, the name of which escapes me at present. I've never once been happy with one I made myself.

I don't hate soysauce per se, but I don't have any in the pantry that is non-gmo but I do have coconut aminos on hand and the goal was not buying anything else to prepare this.

Doesn't sound like it could get much more basic than that, Katherine.

I'm making myself hungry with this. :P

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Go with a classic honey mustard

some spicy brown mustard add honey(and a bit of chili pepper) and mix!

delicious. Also sour cream mixed with spicy mustard and honey is also a favorite of mine.