Thread: Leptin reset- was it helpful for you? page

sasonnier is offline Junior Member

Leptin reset- was it helpful for you?

Primal Fuel
    Hi have read through a lot of different leptin threads- and it gets pretty overwhelming pretty quickly. A quick background on me-
    I am 5'2" weigh 153, female. I was down to 136 a year ago, but have gained this back in a matter of months- I had a couple of weeks in that time where I was eating rice- but otherwise the weight gain has come while maintaing a paleo diet and/or trying out nutritional ketosis for a few months. I don't eat dairy or any sweeteners as well.
    I was just recently diagnosed with CFS, fibro, low b12 (despite being paleo for 2 years now), low vit D, low T3. I take ribose for the fibro- very helpful, vitamin IV drips (for the vit. deficiency and to get boosts of selenium, zinc, vit. c, etc), I am taking cytomel for the thyroid, and i take supplements for digestive health as well.
    I was curious if those of you who have tried leptin resets could just briefly give me their thoughts on it- was it helpful or not? why did you try it? did you have any adverse reactions b/c of it? etc.

I have tried IFing- a disaster for me (couldn't stop eating when i was in my window). I have tried NK twice (gained 10 lbs each time). I have limited fruits, starchy veggies, nuts, etc- nothing helped me lose weight. I realize that my current health situation will be an inhibitor- but I would really like to stop gaining, craving, and thinking about food constantly- so if there is anything I can change in my current eating plan, I'd like to try it.

I don't think the protocol for the LR would be hard for me- i am ravenous in the mornings and could easily eat a big fat juicy steak :-D

I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me- Thanks!
    Sophie

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
    Hi have read through a lot of different leptin threads- and it gets pretty overwhelming pretty quickly. A quick background on me-
    I am 5'2" weigh 153, female. I was down to 136 a year ago, but have gained this back in a matter of months- I had a couple of weeks in that time where I was eating rice- but otherwise the weight gain has come while maintaing a paleo diet and/or trying out nutritional ketosis for a few months. I don't eat dairy or any sweeteners as well.
    I was just recently diagnosed with CFS, fibro, low b12 (despite being paleo for 2 years now), low vit D, low T3. I take ribose for the fibro- very helpful, vitamin IV drips (for the vit. deficiency and to get boosts of selenium, zinc, vit. c, etc), I am taking cytomel for the thyroid, and i take supplements for digestive health as well.
    I was curious if those of you who have tried leptin resets could just briefly give me their thoughts on it- was it helpful or not? why did you try it? did you have any adverse reactions b/c of it? etc.

I have tried IFing- a disaster for me (couldn't stop eating when i was in my window). I have tried NK twice (gained 10 lbs each time). I have limited fruits, starchy veggies, nuts, etc- nothing helped me lose weight. I realize that my current health situation will be an inhibitor- but I would really like to stop gaining, craving, and thinking about food constantly- so if there is anything I can change in my current eating plan, I'd like to try it.

I don't think the protocol for the LR would be hard for me- i am ravenous in the mornings and could easily eat a big fat juicy steak :-D

I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me- Thanks!
    Sophie
    The Leptin Reset was a bust for just about everybody who tried it, me included. It's flaws are:
    - No one really knows if they are truly leptin resistant--or cured
    - It leads to weight gain in almost everyone
    - It requires numerous follow-on interventions such as cold baths, wearing sunglasses at night, taking metformin, eating a special 'epi-paleo' diet, avoiding stray frequencies, and making sure you are electrically grounded at all times.

I would recommend taking care of some low hanging fruit you mentioned: Vit D, B12, T3, etc... Get your labs in range and focus on healthy eating according to Primal Blueprint as it is written, and not by skipping the stuff that's a pain in the butt like big salads, bone broth, etc...

Good luck, this is a good place to frequent for ideas and questions.

Zach is offline Banned
    I think what you need to do is right there in your post. Give up low carb paleo, ketosis and IFing. Eat when hungry and stop when full. Stop limiting macros and food groups, limit junk food only.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Caution: Otzi and Zach are potato warriors. Take the posts in that context.

I actually did a version of Leptin Reset from Mid January to the end of March in 2012. I was 5'0" and 108 pounds. I don't think I have any health issues, so YMMV. I didn't buy any of the horses@*t about circadian rhythmns and what not. I just wanted to see if the macros would cut my night cravings. I didn't exercise at all. Rather than bother to calculate macros all day, I just figured out one day's menu and ate the same thing every day:

Breakfast:
    3 eggs in butter
    1/4 ground beef cooked in coconut oil
    1/2 cup cooked kale
    Tea
    Lunch:
    Chicken soup with a small amount of onion, carrot, celery
    1.5 cups low carb veggies
    1/2 cup berries
    1 square dark chocolate
    Dinner:
    1/2 can salmon
    Small vegetable
    bulletproof hot cocoa about half the days.

About 50g carbs, ~90 g protein, I forgot how much fat.
    It was about 200 calories/day more than I was used to.
    I didn't check the scale, but I felt like I was gaining weight because I was stuffed to the gills on all that fat.
    After the reset, I finally checked the scale. I had LOST a pound. I eventually lost another 5-6 pounds.

The LR mostly worked. It did cure my cravings, mainly because of all the protein and fat. I think it did help my metabolism -- for example my hands and feet weren't as cold. I think of it as one of the options for someone who's been slipping and wants to kick start bakc into Primal.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Caution: Otzi and Zach are potato warriors. Take the posts in that context.
    I don't doubt your success and think a big protein breakfast is an awesome idea for many reasons, do them myself sometimes.

I only have a problem with the term 'leptin reset'. Here's what I mean--what was your serum concentration of leptin before and after your reset? How did you establish your were leptin resistant? Are you fully leptin sensitive now?

If the OP asked: "Would it be advisable to eat a big, meaty breakfast?" I, and probably Zach, would say 'Sure!'

The entire premise behind the LR as originally presented was that it ties leptin with circadian biology, since you didn't fall for it, you didn't really do it--good for you! You are further ahead than all those that tried in vain and kept failing.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I didn't exercise at all. Rather than bother to calculate macros all day, I just figured out one day's menu and ate the same thing every day:

Breakfast:
    3 eggs in butter
    1/4 ground beef cooked in coconut oil
    1/2 cup cooked kale
    Tea
    Lunch:
    Chicken soup with a small amount of onion, carrot, celery
    1.5 cups low carb veggies
    1/2 cup berries
    1 square dark chocolate
    Dinner:
    1/2 can salmon
    Small vegetable
    bulletproof hot cocoa about half the days.
    Oxide - I reread your post and wanted to add: I think what you did here is an awesome recipe for success. Exercise can stimulate the appetite, so not exercising while actively losing weight is a good idea.

The second thing you did, eat a very similar menu every day, is also a very good tool. It's easy to manipulate a few things if you want to cut calories or tweak macros.

The third thing you did right is choose extremely good foods in sensible portions: salmon, eggs, dark chocolate, kale, etc...

Kudos to you! You took a somewhat crackpot idea (leptin reset), made it your own, and had success.

I hope you don't read this as sarcastic--it's not at all. Sometimes I come across as sarcastic, just want to be clear it's not...

Thanks for the input guys! I did actually have my leptin blood levels tested- 11 (what ever that means- but it is on the lower end of the range). If anyone is familiar with blood levels- your input on that would be appreciated.

I think for myself, just eating good solid food is what I need to focus on now- it's easy to get caught up in something new if what I'm currently doing isn't working. I guess sometimes it isn't all about the food.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sasonnier View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! I did actually have my leptin blood levels tested- 11 (what ever that means- but it is on the lower end of the range). If anyone is familiar with blood levels- your input on that would be appreciated.

I think for myself, just eating good solid food is what I need to focus on now- it's easy to get caught up in something new if what I'm currently doing isn't working. I guess sometimes it isn't all about the food.
    What I know about leptin is it fluctuates throughout the day, so a single leptin test would tell you nothing unless it was almost completely absent or extremely high when it shouldn't be. 11 means nothing to me, did it have a range associated with it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    it did, but i can't remember off hand...i'll look it up when i go back to my dr.