Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SPAM - it's almost primal! page 2

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The residents of the state of Hawaii consume the most Spam per capita in the United States. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and consumption is similar in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. In Hawaii, Burger King began serving Spam in 2007 to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[12][13] In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes referred to as "The Hawaiian Steak".[14] One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, where cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[15]

Spam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmm time to go to Hawaii? lol

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    I don't know about making it yourself, but I keep a couple cans in the pantry for when that desire hits. I'm not too afraid of our gelatinous porky meat cube friend.
    I call it meaty delicious goodness, but I may steal gelatinous porky meat cube because it's so much more descriptive.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    okay Joanie - but seriously SPAM makes me burp !!!!!!!!!!!
    as does sausage................. and anything with additives.
    IF you produce something that doesn't make Gwamma BURP.............. I am IN girl !!!!!!!!!
    Export it to NZ and I will market it - with a passion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ............... and I aint jokin..... lets get more of this decent food out there..............
    I love puttering around the kitchen, Gwamma, but I've learned that I don't really have those follow through qualities it takes to start a business. However, you never know - I might come up with a recipe and then sell that. It makes you burp? I wonder why. Pork? Sugar? The preservative?

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    The residents of the state of Hawaii consume the most Spam per capita in the United States. On average, each person on Guam consumes 16 tins of Spam each year and consumption is similar in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), Guam, Hawaii, and Saipan, the CNMI's principal island, have the only McDonald's restaurants that feature Spam on the menu. In Hawaii, Burger King began serving Spam in 2007 to compete with the local McDonald's chains.[12][13] In Hawaii, Spam is so popular it is sometimes referred to as "The Hawaiian Steak".[14] One popular Spam dish in Hawaii is Spam musubi, where cooked Spam is combined with rice and nori seaweed and classified as onigiri.[15]

Spam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmm time to go to Hawaii? lol
    I went to Hawaii in the early or mid 90s, and I was delighted to see that when you go out for breakfast or lunch, there's actually spam as one of the options next to bacon and sausage. Funny because I think Hawaii is one of the US's largest beef producers.

I used to live in a little town in Central Washington where they had filmed a TV show called Northern Exposure. Anyway, long after the show was over, the town continued to have yearly Manly Man Festivals. Very camp. There were both a SPAM cook off (SPAM quiche was always a big crowd pleaser) and a contest for SPAM art. Sadly the festival ended about 10 years ago.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i freaking love spam. haven't had it in awhile tho - i remember it being kinda too salty? But other than that, pretty yummy fried & served w/ eggs.

I just looked at some labels at the SPAM website. It looks like anytime they reduce sodium or calories, they add other ingredients. SPAM Lite (I used to call it SPLite) actually has chicken in it! Jalapeno flavored only has the jalapeno and vinegar added to the original list of ingredients.

Anyone want to take bets on whether or not I end up at the corner store today to buy a can of SPAM? And will I fry it up with some cheese and jalapenos? It was outta sight outta mind until I started this damned thread. LOL
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

pjgh is online now Senior Member
    ... a slab of spam is way better than a slice of bread to pop an egg onto.

Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    ... a slab of spam is way better than a slice of bread to pop an egg onto.
    Words to live by!

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Spam is a form of pate made with cheap ingredients. To make it yourself, the most important thing is the balance between raw lean meat, fat, fillers, and inert ingredients. It crisps up because the fat in the mix melts out and fries the surface.

Megatron is offline Member
    I am half Marshallese (from an island not far, relatively speaking, from Hawaii) and I have very fond memories of caramelized spam and pineapple 'burger', Spam sushi, so much Spam. People who think it's gross usually have never tried it. Not paleo at all I know, but you could do worse on a SAD diet.

Sooo craving some Spam & eggs right now...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    People who think it's gross usually have never tried it.
    My mother used to feed it to us sometimes. Not sure why, she usually avoided serving commercial processed foods. I never much cared for it. I think I have only once eaten it as an adult, when it was offered to me while camping.

phigment is offline Senior Member
    I tried it once. I couldn't even finish the bite. Now they have bacon flavored and turkey flavored. Individual servings are being sold.

Generaly when I think of spam I think of the Monty Python skit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast