Thread: Energy Fluctuations page

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member

Energy Fluctuations

Primal Fuel
    I don't know why, but my energy levels are all over the place lately. I sleep well and I think I sleep enough (7 to 8 hours a night). When I wake up I feel alert and don't really have trouble getting going in the morning. Then, around 10:30 am, I just get tired. I should be at the gym right now but I am so tired. Should I go anyway?

I have been IFing until around noon most days. I thought lunch might wake me up, but it hasn't.

I don't know if it is just the boredom I face at work or what... I generally feel much more awake the second I get out of here, but maybe that's just the walk to the train station waking me up. I'm just so tired and foggy all the time and I'm tired of feeling like this.

Would you work out if you were really tired? Is my body trying to tell me something?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I'd say yes, your body is trying to tell you something. Probably that you're not getting enough energy from breakfast, or you're coming down with the flu or something else.What are you eating?

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Your best bet is to experiment. If all else is right on with the rest of your lifestyle (fitness, nutrition, stress) and you're still having issues with energy, I'd say ditch the IF and see if that helps.

Also, while at work, try going for quick 5 minute walks every 30 minutes or so, if that's an option. Not only will it keep you awake, it'll also boost your productivity (Pomodoro Technique)
    Last edited by paul119; 03-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Seow is offline Junior Member
    I kind of agree with paul119.

Ditch the IF (intermittent fasting) in the morning. If you want, IF from lunch onwards till breakfast the following day perhaps?

Alternatively try taking L-carnitine in the morning even though you are fasting in the morning? It apparently helps with converting stored fat into energy.

Paleobird Guest
    Perhaps try having breakfast but skipping lunch instead.

Vman is offline Junior Member
    I know the feeling. You might be running on too few carbs. When I get like this, I make sure to have a big salad for lunch rather than something like eggs and bacon. That will make a big difference in energy levels. If by some accident, I don't eat greens for a day or so, this is what happens to me.

Another solution which I use only rarely when putting together a salad just isn't going to happen is grab some fruit. Even a little bit can pull you out of the fog.

thedoglett is offline Junior Member
    I'd just like to say that I agree with the consensus here - you've been on too few carbs.

I made this post the other week and since I ditched IF to 2 days per week and upped the carbs a little I'm feeling a lot better energy-wise. My normal routine is skipping breakfast and skipping the occasional lunch didn't bother me at all. Then it became a 5 day a week thing, when I ate there weren't a lot of carbs. Since I started eating a couple of potatoes with my meals and having a small lunch I've felt a lot better.

Fantazmic is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Maybe double check your nutrients. Even Mark says that everyone should supplement as our food is not as nutrient dense as it used to be...you could be low on iron.

Also think about when you are feeling so tired it can be mood related as in not wanting to go to work etc...