Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously?

Hybrid View

Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously?

I can't remember who wrote it, but a week or so ago I read a post from someone saying that Americans don't take the U.N seriously.

Personally I don't take anything in politics seriously, but I'm curious if this is the general consensus among Americans and if so, why?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I'm not convinced the UN take America seriously either
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

I don't.
    For the most part, it seems like a US funded (largest contributor, by percentage) stage for a lot of places to come over, get up, grandstand about how we should have our money spent for us, and then patted on the back.
    Do good things come out of it? Sure. Are they an effective method of 'world management'? I don't think so. (for instance, see today's news out of N. Korea).
    I don't have all the answers, and maybe this is the best we can do at this time, but a lot of the time it seems like they mostly just justify their hands into other's pocketbooks or threaten bullies with wet noodles.

Quote Originally Posted by Karock View Post
    I don't.
    For the most part, it seems like a US funded (largest contributor, by percentage) stage for a lot of places to come over, get up, grandstand about how we should have our money spent for us, and then patted on the back.
    Do good things come out of it? Sure. Are they an effective method of 'world management'? I don't think so. (for instance, see today's news out of N. Korea).
    I don't have all the answers, and maybe this is the best we can do at this time, but a lot of the time it seems like they mostly just justify their hands into other's pocketbooks or threaten bullies with wet noodles.
    Except for when you need to cajole together a 'coalition' for your next war, you mean?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Except for when you need to cajole together a 'coalition' for your next war, you mean?
    Don't put words in my mouth, make assumptions on my behalf, or use my words for your own agenda please.

Most Americans are mostly apathetic about the UN. It seems vaguely un-American.

Which americans? We are divided into quite a few demographics and classes. Most of the Americans I know would not give a flying **** about the U.N. They are more concerned about their jobs, social life, maybe where they'll get their next meal. Their next beer, or cigarette, or joint. Maybe they'll gossip and then go watch T.V.

Before you berate me, this is a generalization which allows exceptions (for exceptions are numerous.) This is basically my experience. The average American does not want the American "Dream" to fade. The illusion suits them just fine. I almost envy them.

I don't know anything about the U.N., basically.

I would agree that most Americans seem primarily focused on domestic/immediate/local issues.
    Journal
    Current interests - Starting Strength (reading it very slowly)

Depression Lies

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I don't know anything about the U.N., basically.
    It's basically a way for smaller countries to do what the larger countries want without being explicitly dominated by the larger countries. See: coalition of the willing.

Sometimes the same tactics get used on larger countries (basically, the permanent members of the security council) and boy do they get PISSED when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I would agree that most Americans seem primarily focused on domestic/immediate/local issues.
    Yeah, this is true of pretty much people everywhere, but I do agree that american media seems to be very insular. I remember my first day in america, I saw 6 chewing gum commercials in the first hour of TV, and america was spoken of almost reverently as if it was the whole world ("every day, all across America.....").

I seem to see several appeals to america's authority/autonomy by virtue of it's wealth in this thread....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    It's basically a way for smaller countries to do what the larger countries want without being explicitly dominated by the larger countries. See: coalition of the willing.

I seem to see several appeals to america's authority/autonomy by virtue of it's wealth in this thread....
    They don't seem to be able to do anything either serious or seriously. So I"ll think for another minute. . .. Nope.

Since the middle of the 19th Century there have been Americans who pushed for a World Government. First the League of Nations, now the United Nations. The United Nations provides an arena which occupies a lot of appointees (insiders) a place to talk, to demand more money from America, and to cry about world affairs and how unjust and incompassionate we are.

There are also many Americans against any thought of a world Gov't or a world court. We're "free and independent" after all. (Except that today Eric Holder had to be pushed hard to conceed that in the matter of our Gov't being able to kill Americans at home.)