Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously?

I can't remember who wrote it, but a week or so ago I read a post from someone saying that Americans don't take the U.N seriously.

Personally I don't take anything in politics seriously, but I'm curious if this is the general consensus among Americans and if so, why?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I'm not convinced the UN take America seriously either
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Most Americans are mostly apathetic about the UN. It seems vaguely un-American.

Karock is offline Member
    I don't.
    For the most part, it seems like a US funded (largest contributor, by percentage) stage for a lot of places to come over, get up, grandstand about how we should have our money spent for us, and then patted on the back.
    Do good things come out of it? Sure. Are they an effective method of 'world management'? I don't think so. (for instance, see today's news out of N. Korea).
    I don't have all the answers, and maybe this is the best we can do at this time, but a lot of the time it seems like they mostly just justify their hands into other's pocketbooks or threaten bullies with wet noodles.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karock View Post
    I don't.
    For the most part, it seems like a US funded (largest contributor, by percentage) stage for a lot of places to come over, get up, grandstand about how we should have our money spent for us, and then patted on the back.
    Do good things come out of it? Sure. Are they an effective method of 'world management'? I don't think so. (for instance, see today's news out of N. Korea).
    I don't have all the answers, and maybe this is the best we can do at this time, but a lot of the time it seems like they mostly just justify their hands into other's pocketbooks or threaten bullies with wet noodles.
    Except for when you need to cajole together a 'coalition' for your next war, you mean?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Karock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Except for when you need to cajole together a 'coalition' for your next war, you mean?
    Don't put words in my mouth, make assumptions on my behalf, or use my words for your own agenda please.

tzulogic is offline Member
    Which americans? We are divided into quite a few demographics and classes. Most of the Americans I know would not give a flying **** about the U.N. They are more concerned about their jobs, social life, maybe where they'll get their next meal. Their next beer, or cigarette, or joint. Maybe they'll gossip and then go watch T.V.

Before you berate me, this is a generalization which allows exceptions (for exceptions are numerous.) This is basically my experience. The average American does not want the American "Dream" to fade. The illusion suits them just fine. I almost envy them.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I don't know anything about the U.N., basically.

I would agree that most Americans seem primarily focused on domestic/immediate/local issues.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    <--- This American takes nothing seriously.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Take serious in terms of what? In a nation the size of the US with it's dominance in terms of economic and military might, the UN doesn't have a lot of relevance. That just means that in countries that depend on foreign aid or have a lot of human rights issues, they likely have a larger role. In terms of their ability to discipline--we aren't the target there but we're not fond of being told what to do or someone questioning our motives in world events. The ideal of UN sanctions against the US would be seen as ridiculous and unwarranted and we'd probably run them out of the country.

I'm sure a lot of American's and others see the US as the world's police force in that we are always getting involved in various situations around the globe. Some would probably prefer the UN take on that role instead but few would have any confidence in their ability to do that or trust that they would act accordingly. Terrorism and nuclear build up certainly continues despite ineffective efforts by the UN for example.

My perception though is no one takes them all that seriously, not just those in the US. It's just a cool place to tour while in NYC...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast