Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Americans: Do you take the U.N seriously? page 5

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The UN is either toothless bureacracy staffed with drunken scions from around the world. Or it's a shadowy stalking horse for One World Government.

I don't think you can have both ways.

I go with the former. It often serves to legitimatize American and Western imperialism. Occassionally the global south uses to wrest something. Both are usually done pretty clumsily.

Conspiracy theories are mostly bunk. Neat, tidy, fun bunk. But they interpret wrongly something real -- the unstoppable drive of capitalism and imperialism, the cozy relationships and likemindedness of the global elite, the management of democracy and public opinion through intellectual institutions and media outlets, etc....

In short, read your Chomsky.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    that's conspiracy theory.

That's such a dumb word. It exists to load with dismissive emotions so that it can be invoked whenever inconvenient arguments are raised.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    that's conspiracy theory.

That's such a dumb word. It exists to load with dismissive emotions so that it can be invoked whenever inconvenient arguments are raised.
    I have to tell you though, that although I really do appreciate someone posing uncomfortable questions, and personally do not throw that term around lightly just because someone does ask questions, not every frickin' thing has a conspiracy behind it. I live next to one of those types, and it has gotten to the point that I leave my husband to shoot the breeze with him because I just can't hear it anymore. He is the most reliable, helpful neighbor otherwise, but damn, some days I almost think he believes the government purposely sends the hail in a stiff thunderstorm to dent his house.

Sometimes the term fits perfectly.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345