Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brittle fingernails? page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Brittle fingernails?

This is weird, I've always had strong fingernails, but recently every time I turn around I break one, tear it, or hit something that makes a big snaggy dent that has to be dealt with.

I've been primal for a year and a half now, as far as I can think, nothing much changed.

Any ideas??
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    I noticed this is happening to me a lot more as of late...and I'm wondering if it's all part and parcel of some other weird health troubles I've been trying to get to the bottom of lately (the most bothersome of which is full-body edema).

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice, but I will keep an eye on this thread to see what others have to say...

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Unlikely if you are eating close to a standard Primal diet and getting lots of egg yolks and liver, but possibly biotin defeciency:

Biotin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It wouldn't hurt to try a supplement. Biotin is very cheap if I remember correctly. Or if you're more inclined to remedy through diet, try adding some liver to your diet for a few weeks and see if it helps.

My nails used to chip all the time. Like I could peel off the top-most layer down a good few centimeters. But I cannot remember the last time it has happend (been eating Primal for ~4 years now I guess).

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth should fix it. Are you already making it and consuming on a regular basis?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Thanks for the reminder about the bone broth! I haven't made any in months. Unfortunately I don't really eat liver, either, but I do plan to try again...maybe that will fix it! Other than my arthritis, I mostly feel really good, so this kind of came out of left field. The only thing I'm really doing differently is taking turmeric for the arthritis and eating more cinnamon, mostly for the same reason as well as other benefits...
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    A little silica may help. It's also in diatomateous earth. And bone broth is always good.

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member
    I find that this happens to me in winter a lot. I start taking vitamin D now when this happens, it seems to make it go away. Just my experience, but if you aren't getting much sun, maybe you could give it a try.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve. -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Yep, I take a couple of D3 a day. Thanks for the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by eig View Post
    I find that this happens to me in winter a lot. I start taking vitamin D now when this happens, it seems to make it go away. Just my experience, but if you aren't getting much sun, maybe you could give it a try.
    Best--
    Kate

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Mine were thin and brittle too.

But now I take ~3000 IUs of Vitamin D, cloud or shine, winter or summer, and my nails are super strong.

It also helped with other things like hair quality, joint pain, energy... etc.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I remembered that I used to buff my nails, too, which of course increases circulation, and FWIW, no breakage since. I don't THINK it would have worked that quickly given how slowly nails grow, but still...
    Best--
    Kate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast