Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brittle fingernails? page 2

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    To those who have weakened nails, have you ever experienced or are experiencing the following in combination with weakened nails:

-pale nails
    -blurry vision
    -see floaters, or other visual obstructions (spots, flashes, squiggly/wavy lines)
    -dizziness
    -low b.p.
    -low body temperature
    -scanty menstruation or no period at all
    -pale face, pale lips, pale tongue
    -emotional (irritable, angry, frustrated)

Sophaholic is offline Junior Member
    Definitely second the bone broth. We started WAPF then Primal because two of my then-three year old's teeth were black & dying. I can now literally chart how much broth she's had by the colour of those two teeth: not enough, they turn black; some, they're brown; a good four bowls a week and I kid not they start turning creamy white. The change can happen as quickly as as four days, so thinner, exposed to the winter elements nails would definitely show signs I imagine.

On the slight off chance it's something more, I'm looking into hypothyroid right now & brittle nails come under a lot of hormone-related problems. Worth thinking about any other seemingly random symptoms that might indicate a wider problem.

ETA: StephenHLi, we cross-posted. But yes, yes & yes to every symptom! I don't want to hijack the OPs thread, but could you explain a little more please?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophaholic View Post
    Definitely second the bone broth. We started WAPF then Primal because two of my then-three year old's teeth were black & dying. I can now literally chart how much broth she's had by the colour of those two teeth: not enough, they turn black; some, they're brown; a good four bowls a week and I kid not they start turning creamy white. The change can happen as quickly as as four days, so thinner, exposed to the winter elements nails would definitely show signs I imagine.

On the slight off chance it's something more, I'm looking into hypothyroid right now & brittle nails come under a lot of hormone-related problems. Worth thinking about any other seemingly random symptoms that might indicate a wider problem.

ETA: StephenHLi, we cross-posted. But yes, yes & yes to every symptom! I don't want to hijack the OPs thread, but could you explain a little more please?
    Weird, didn't realize two threads haha.....thought was in twilight zone.

Anyway,

Your responses match mostly with the pattern of an underlying "anemia" - a type of blood lacking or reaching/circulating (low B.P. & low body temp) to nourish not only your nails (pale, brittle), but also your eyes (blurry vision), face (pale) etc.

This type of "anemia" most likely will not show up on blood tests, it falls more in line with sub-clinical symptoms. If the conventional lab tests do show anemia then the progression of the condition has already grown in severe fashion.

I would recommend increasing red meat consumption from a safe, quality source. Also eat more liver. I would recommend adding a B-Complex with possible additional B-12 supplement, if already taking these, you may need to adjust the ratios or dosage. I would recommend ingesting more amounts of bone marrow. If you are very brave or crazy enough, try eating some placenta (not joking) for nutrient boost. Up to the individual how far one is willing to go to achieve their health targets.

If unwilling to try some of the above, some more classical food wise approaches are:

Improve Circulation

Daikon radish (personal favorite)
    Leeks
    Red Wine
    Peaches
    Eggplant
    Adzuki Beans
    Spices: garlic, onions, scallions, turmeric, cayenne, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg

Improve Blood Lacking

Dragon's eye fruit (personal favorite): Lychee or Longan
    Squash
    Mushrooms
    Asparagus
    Swish Chard
    Bamboo
    Pumpkin
    Sweet Potato

The increase in emotional response is trying to tell you something, that the spirit is off balanced and needs your attention.

Generally a stressful event or the build up of multiple stressors are usually key triggers to throw the emotions off balance.

Suggestions: mediation, yoga, deep breathing exercises, laughing

Sometimes the simple methods are the best healers. We do not always need to be so tech savy or innovative when it comes to personal healing. Eating food can heal, breathing correctly can heal, laughing can heal.

Sophaholic is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the information, that's very interesting. We eat nothing from that list except for garlic, squash & the occasional sweet potato. Budget & lack of choice in the UK are the main constraints (admittedly because I shop online - taking a two & four year old food shopping multiplies my stress ten-fold!). I'll try & fit more of those things in. Especially lychees...gorgeous!

Sorry OP, back to you,

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    I've had floaters since my 20s (I'm ancient, now! LONG past periods.) so don't think that applies. The other things you mention, not really. What would that indicate?

Quote Originally Posted by StephenHLi View Post
    To those who have weakened nails, have you ever experienced or are experiencing the following in combination with weakened nails:

-pale nails
    -blurry vision
    -see floaters, or other visual obstructions (spots, flashes, squiggly/wavy lines)
    -dizziness
    -low b.p.
    -low body temperature
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Wow, that's a fast response, Sopaholic!

Quote Originally Posted by Sophaholic View Post

Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
    I've had floaters since my 20s (I'm ancient, now! LONG past periods.) so don't think that applies. The other things you mention, not really. What would that indicate?
    Floaters since 20's, do you wear prescription glasses? Did you get them at an early age too? Are you near sighted?

Floaters are chaos entities affecting the vitreous humor fluid and usually near sighted people (myopic) can see these visual obstructions more frequently.

If there is accompanied flashes of light or auras, or possible loss of peripheral vision, then there may be a related retina problem (detachment?).

So right now your are ancient and since you have suffered with floaters since your 20's, this condition is now chronic. Treatment and therapy should be expected to take years to correct if correction is at all possible.

You most likely will need to perform some kind of liver, kidney, gut cleanse to clear the passageways for specific improved blood flow to nourish the eyes, the optic nerve, and the surrounding optical and orbital muscles.

For some people, floaters are a mere nuisance, but other people who rely on their vision find floaters terrible and possibly disabling. I would seek a qualified herbalist and healthcare professional to address this specific condition if that is the desired goal.

If not, a very harmless non-specific protocol is as follows:

Try adding some of the following into your diet and notice any changes in the vision.

-Goji Berries (wolf berries): can be eaten as a snack, most are in dried form, would need to soak
    -Chrysanthemum Flower: many various tea forms
    -Ginko Biloba
    -Bilberry

Some common supplements to support eye health

-Vitamin A
    -Beta Carotene
    -Vitamin C
    -Vitamin E
    -Lutein
    -Zeaxantin
    -Grapeseed Extract
    -Black Current

Remember, if you want a specific, individualized targeted treatment protocol, seek a qualified health professional.

If you wanted to try a N=1, try some of the above suggestions.

Thanks, yep, I've had them as long as I can remember, and they don't bother me, though I know they do some people. Just part of life, for me. I DO rely on my vision, as an artist, but they're really not bothersome since I know what they are. I've worn glasses for my near-sightedness since I was a kid, though interestingly my vision has gotten better the past few years.

I know about flashers, though! I did have a detached retina a few years ago that required 280 laser stitches to repair! (Pre-paleo, too.)

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Floaters since 20's, do you wear prescription glasses? Did you get them at an early age too? Are you near sighted?

Floaters are chaos entities affecting the vitreous humor fluid and usually near sighted people (myopic) can see these visual obstructions more frequently.

If there is accompanied flashes of light or auras, or possible loss of peripheral vision, then there may be a related retina problem (detachment?).

So right now your are ancient and since you have suffered with floaters since your 20's, this condition is now chronic. Treatment and therapy should be expected to take years to correct if correction is at all possible.

You most likely will need to perform some kind of liver, kidney, gut cleanse to clear the passageways for specific improved blood flow to nourish the eyes, the optic nerve, and the surrounding optical and orbital muscles.

For some people, floaters are a mere nuisance, but other people who rely on their vision find floaters terrible and possibly disabling. I would seek a qualified herbalist and healthcare professional to address this specific condition if that is the desired goal.

If not, a very harmless non-specific protocol is as follows:

Try adding some of the following into your diet and notice any changes in the vision.

-Goji Berries (wolf berries): can be eaten as a snack, most are in dried form, would need to soak
    -Chrysanthemum Flower: many various tea forms
    -Ginko Biloba
    -Bilberry

Some common supplements to support eye health

-Vitamin A
    -Beta Carotene
    -Vitamin C
    -Vitamin E
    -Lutein
    -Zeaxantin
    -Grapeseed Extract
    -Black Current

Remember, if you want a specific, individualized targeted treatment protocol, seek a qualified health professional.

If you wanted to try a N=1, try some of the above suggestions.
    Best--
    Kate

Kate your vision is getting better while you're navigating your "ancient" years? That's awesome. Keep up whatever you are doing.

Normally, CW believes as we grow older we just wither and die....that things do not usually improve as we get older, they get worse. This is, of course, not true. People can grow younger.

Take care!
    -Stephen

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

-pale nails
    -blurry vision
    -dizziness
    -low b.p.
    -low body temperature
    My first thought is that this kind of sounds like anemia.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast