Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Real Food" page

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member

"Real Food"

Primal Fuel
    We Deserve Better: Tell Kraft To Stop Using Dangerous Artificial Colors in Our Mac & Cheese - 100 Days of Real Food

Thought some people around here might find this humorous or something...the idea that Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is real food no matter how you tweak it!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    ha ha that is pretty funny

i have to admit - i used to eat the hell out of that gd boxed mac n cheese. It was truly a comfort food for me. Sad!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Another just danged good luck thing for me. My mom made the best mac and cheese. The roux, milk, and cheese. Boil pasta. Mix together. Top with a little more cheddar, some butter, some breadcrumbs and bake. (I said good, not primal.) The first time I had the stuff at the school cafeteria, I dumped it. The first time I tasted Kraft, I was like, wtf?

If you're going to do s*** food, boil the pasta. Pour over it some con queso from a jar. It's still crap, but it's easier than Kraft, and you can eat the rest of the queso with a spoon at midnight.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    When my daughter was small, I used to make box macaroni and cheese by substituting sour cream for the margarine and milk called for on the label. Later I found a recipe that called for making a sauce of milk, eggs, and lots of mild shredded cheddar cheese. I would make that again, but substituting rice macaroni for the wheat. But my boyfriend doesn't like macaroni and cheese anyway, or he just thinks he doesn't. I'm sure he would enjoy the real thing.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    LMAO.
    If your goal is to eliminate processed foods, I don't really think you can possibly do anything to make Kraft Macaroni and Cheese fit that mold.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

EagleRiverDee is online now Senior Member
    Well you guys might drum me right out of here, but Kraft Mac and Cheese is one of my cheat weaknesses. I love the stuff. I ate it as a kid and it's an ingrained comfort food for me. I *know* it's not primal in any sense of the word. But once every couple of months...I just gotta. LOL. That said, I didn't know that it had food dyes in it that were known carcinogens. Stupid me to assume that the FDA wouldn't allow a *known* carcinogen to be present in our food, especially one that is a CW staple for many children.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Little Women is offline Member
    It can be a valuable step for some people. When I decided I was not going to do artificial colors and flavors, mostly because of my kids' behavioral reactions, it was a much bigger deal for me than going from there to paleo/primal has been. I'd say, let them take their step--it might lead to bigger things, and at the very least, it can reduce violence in our schools and neighborhoods.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Even Kraft doesn't call their product 'cheese'. They call it 'Cheese Food'. Look at their 'cheese' slices. The first time I really noticed that I was disgusted. I havaen't eaten 'cheese food' in many years.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    My friend posted a link to 100 Days of Real Food on Facebook. I clicked on it and the first thing I see is the article about taking preservatives/artificial colors out of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Of course, this seemed preposterous to me. While many of us here won't agree with their stance on grains, their approach is certainly better than the average American diet which is truly SAD. So, to be fair, I do think they are trying to do something good. I can't argue with a lot of their tips. I wish them well. P. S. The FDA is wacked!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Another just danged good luck thing for me. My mom made the best mac and cheese. The roux, milk, and cheese. Boil pasta. Mix together. Top with a little more cheddar, some butter, some breadcrumbs and bake. (I said good, not primal.) The first time I had the stuff at the school cafeteria, I dumped it. The first time I tasted Kraft, I was like, wtf?

If you're going to do s*** food, boil the pasta. Pour over it some con queso from a jar. It's still crap, but it's easier than Kraft, and you can eat the rest of the queso with a spoon at midnight.
    Continuing with the mac and cheese stories....when my kids were little, they loved the boxed crap too. They did NOT love my homemade mac and cheese which got served a lot because it was something my very fussy stepfather WOULD eat when invited for dinner. So we had "kids' mac and cheese" which was the boxed crap, and "grown-up mac and cheese" which was homemade. One day they decided to try the dreaded "grown up" stuff and really liked it. Smothered in ketchup. They're grown up now, but still love it, still smother it in ketchup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast