Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Giving up sugar... page 6

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Back in the day, sugar was used for weightloss.
    I remember those days. The research supporting this was funded by the sugar industry, and championed by a Harvard professor named Fredrick Stare, who would write weekly columns in the newspaper about how people should eat lots of sugar because calories are good, and Americans needed more calories.

And even then millions of people were trying and failing at fad diets.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    My point is, even if they are eating pizza and cheeseburgers, the worst part is not the fat. If they were eating just cheese and meat sauce without the excessive dense dough, would the same obesity problem exist? I suspect not. *shrug*
    The obesity epidemic is almost entirely because of seed oils. From insulin resistance to gluten intolerance, unsaturate fat is the problem, not grains or sugar or anything else that we have been eating for thousands of years.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    Do you have any idea what the people around you are eating? Do you understand what SAD means? Have you looked at the food pyramid?

A low fat, moderate protein, high 'fiber' (grain) intensive diet is what is recommended by doctors and nutritionists. Low fat yogurt, fatless skinless poultry, beef with all the fat trimmed off, low fat dressing, low fat baked goods ... these are things the standard person eats, at least around me. They are in an endless drive to remove the fat from their diet, as prescribed by their doctors. When people do their obligatory around the office "omg I am so fat today because I ate ____ and it's so fatty!" they are bemoaning the butter or olive oil they ate, not the sugar content or the bread product it sat upon, which is the real problem.
    There is no way the majority of Americans are sticking to low-fat diets. American foods are riddled with PUFA fats, hydrogenated oils, deep-fried everything in soybean or canola oil, salad dressings almost all contain disgusting rancid oils, margarine, factory farm cheeses and dairy, etc. American restaurants smother every food they make in putrid oils then mask the flavor with salt and HFCs. Heck, if the majority of Americans actually did follow the food pyramid guidelines it would be an improvement if all whole foods were eaten.

Sugar is a supplement, just like salt. Some need or tolerate more than others, neither are necessary in dietary form, but in context, theyare legit and harmless supplements. Singling out sugar as the sole culprit in overeating or obesity isn't exactly accurate when you don't take the other variables into account. Sugar in coffee or sprinkled on fruit is not the problem anymore than adding salt to cucumbers is and pickling them. I think sugar gets a bad rap undeservingly when it's rarely consumed on its own without far worse ingredients.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    There is no way the majority of Americans are sticking to low-fat diets. American foods are riddled with PUFA fats, hydrogenated oils, deep-fried everything in soybean or canola oil, salad dressings almost all contain disgusting rancid oils, margarine, factory farm cheeses and dairy, etc. American restaurants smother every food they make in putrid oils then mask the flavor with salt and HFCs. Heck, if the majority of Americans actually did follow the food pyramid guidelines it would be an improvement if all whole foods were eaten.

Sugar is a supplement, just like salt. Some need or tolerate more than others, neither are necessary in dietary form, but in context, theyare legit and harmless supplements. Singling out sugar as the sole culprit in overeating or obesity isn't exactly accurate when you don't take the other variables into account. Sugar in coffee or sprinkled on fruit is not the problem anymore than adding salt to cucumbers is and pickling them. I think sugar gets a bad rap undeservingly when it's rarely consumed on its own without far worse ingredients.
    I agree. Particularly that sugar gets a bad rap. After watching Lustig's video several times I realised that quite a few things he was saying didn't add up.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sasonnier is offline Junior Member
    I gave up sugar (and flour) 3 years ago- all sweeteners (artificial or otherwise). It was one of the best food decisions i ever made. It was hell for 3 weeks, after that- all of my cravings (for sugar and flour foods) were gone. I went cold turkey, and I think it is easier to do that than to slowly wean off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I agree. Particularly that sugar gets a bad rap. After watching Lustig's video several times I realised that quite a few things he was saying didn't add up.
    Ever eat sugar straight up? Yuck. I can only handle a lick. Same with salt. I'll munch on a few large grains of it, but by the spoonful? Nope. Overkill. If fruit didn't have its flavor and texture, try eating isolated fructose (not HFCs)and eating it plain. Gross, right?

Sugar is a supplement and flavor enhancer. How much you use is up to you. I think it's time to start drawing some lines, though. When people say sugar addiction, they almost always mean the vessels that transport the sugar, which are likely the problem, not just sugar. Sugar mixed with other ingredients is a new food, e.g., chocolate bar, muffin, latte, etc.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking about that. Particularly in pickling/fermenting. There are recipes that require sugar as preservative. Not a large amount, like 3 tbsp per 3L jar of marinated tomatoes. Is this minuscule but necessary bit of sugar that bad?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I was thinking about that. Particularly in pickling/fermenting. There are recipes that require sugar as preservative. Not a large amount, like 3 tbsp per 3L jar of marinated tomatoes. Is this minuscule but necessary bit of sugar that bad?
    I don't believe so. Are you going to eat all 3L at once? Haha. Probably not. And most of the liquid stays behind anyway.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The thing is, if you eliminate the baked goods, sweetened beverages, ice cream and candy, and processed sweets like jelly beans, what sugar is there left to eat? (I don't count fruit here).

Inversely, if you eliminate sugar (not including fruits and sweet potatoes), what good quality foods are you eliminating? If I eliminate a 400 calorie latte with limited nutritional benefit, I can either reduce my calories and lose weight or free up space in my diet for healthier calories, like more chicken on my salad.

I get to eat like 1500-1600 calories a day. I absolutely don't think a 200 calorie sugary snack every day would be an issue, except those calories don't satisfy me, they make me eat more, and they cut into the nutritious calories I can have. FWIW, I also don't believe in eating spoons of fat for the same reason.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    The thing is, if you eliminate the baked goods, sweetened beverages, ice cream and candy, and processed sweets like jelly beans, what sugar is there left to eat? (I don't count fruit here).
    True...even if I sweeten every single cup of coffee (which I wouldn't....) I'd still only get a few teaspoons of sugar in that. Then what else am I suppose to add it to? It really doesn't enhance any of the meals I eat. Whole foods just don't require added sugar.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast