Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up sugar... page 4

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It takes time. If you have a 'slip' don't give up or quit, and don't beat yourself up. You have a serious addiction. Keep at it and over time you beat it. It slacks off and goes away. For me in about 3 months.

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    Best way for me to fight cravings is to a) not be hungry, always have food on hand and eat planned meals. b) Drink a lot of water. When you drink a lot of water, you don't want anything, including sugar.

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    Two thoughts:
    1. work up to 2-4 TBSP of coconut oil in the morning. It's the ultimate long acting energy source. May help stave off sugar cravings. But, work up to that amount over a month or you will have GI distress.
    2. Supplement with L-glutamine. Check this: How to Beat Sugar Cravings with Glutamine | Food Renegade my wife had great success with this.

Sugar sucks. I hope that helps.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Another sugar substitute food could be carrots. The local grocery store in my area has the little organic ones for less than $2 per pound package. Carrots can be pretty sweet, have a strong crunchy texture so you get a lot of chewing action and volume in your stomach, with some carbs, but are good for you and not super calorie dense. When I am good and have a pure paleo meal, carrots become the sweet-carb-"dessert" and I am fine just eating them plain. 1 lb carrots = 185 calories.

Butter coffee (1/2 stick butter blended in 2 cups coffee - no sweetener or creamer needed) in the morning also can satisfy appetite and control cravings all day long. 1/2 stick butter is 400 calories.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, if I'm going to eat 400 calories worth of fat, I'd rather eat a large chovolate bar over half a stick of butter. Way to ruin my coffee. Bulletproof coffee does nothing for me.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Aussie16 is offline Member
    Have you tried following some sort of program? I did an 8 week quit sugar program (if you Google Sarah Wilson I Quit Sugar) you can find it. Another good one is the 21 day sugar detox from Balanced Bites.

For me I find that fat is the key. For e.g. if you find yourself craving sugar take a teaspoonful of coconut oil (hard at first but you get used to it), also if you tolerate dairy well then cheese is great, things like cheese and olives or an avocado. Maybe a few nuts... basically fats that will satiate you. Things like berries are great because they are fruits low in sugar, again if you tolerate dairy well then berries and some yoghurt are good.

I think if you're craving sugar and find it hard to give up then doing some sort of program for at least 3 weeks (easing yourself gently into quitting) and then reintroducing is the best way to go.

Also I never have sugar of any sort in my coffee, I make bulletproof coffee using cold brewed coffee and adding coconut oil which I blend together, like this:

For the cold brew coffee:

I make this in my 8 cup french press.

1 cup coarse ground coffee (best thing is to grind the coffee before use) added to the french press and filled with cold filtered water (leave about an inch at the top). Pop the lid on but don't plunge for 24 hours.

After 24 hours plunge and place into jars to keep in the fridge (can keep for about a week or so).

For the bulletproof coffee: 1:3 ratio of cold brew coffee to hot water, pour into your blender and then add about 1 Tbsp of coconut oil or you can use unsalted butter (like kerrygold) or even grass-fed ghee. Blend together and you will get a delicious cup of foamy coffee and I find you don't need any sugar/sweetener at all!

Also herbal teas are great for quitting sugar.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvalhion View Post
    Best way for me to fight cravings is to a) not be hungry, always have food on hand and eat planned meals. b) Drink a lot of water. When you drink a lot of water, you don't want anything, including sugar.
    This thread is real sad... Lets just pound down water risking over hydration which lowers metabolism, lowers energy by flooding your system and displacing electrolytes and glucose, on top of that contributing to countless other symptoms many people experience like migraines, dizziness, polyuria, etc.

I wonder if people realize how generic and orthorexic they sound. You go through all this stress to avoid something that is benign and harmless in nature. The only problem is the obsessive nature displayed in this thread. It's stressful and counterproductive.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 03-08-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    You go through all this stress to avoid something that is benign and harmless in nature.
    It is harmless unless you are one of the unlucky people that get fat because you overconsume sugar in the form of junk foods. Or if your effort to lost weight is calorie restriction via eliminating nutritious foods to undo the damage of eating candy and sweets. Should you stress about a cupcake, candy bar or soda on occasion? No. But when on occasion becomes several times a day and you become obese it is time to take action.

I'm a lot less stressed out now. LOL< being an obese woman is far, FAR more stressful than keeping an eye on my sugar intake.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It is harmless unless you are one of the unlucky people that get fat because you overconsume sugar in the form of junk foods. Or if your effort to lost weight is calorie restriction via eliminating nutritious foods to undo the damage of eating candy and sweets. Should you stress about a cupcake, candy bar or soda on occasion? No. But when on occasion becomes several times a day and you become obese it is time to take action.

I'm a lot less stressed out now. LOL< being an obese woman is far, FAR more stressful than keeping an eye on my sugar intake.
    That's not the sugars fault, it's because it's coupled with other addictive substances. Candy, muffins, et al. are always accompanied with PUFA and high fat content, yet people choose to blame their compulsive overeating solely on the sugar content.

Sugar + high fat = recipe for overconsumption
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Zach is offline Banned
    When people say sugar they really mean anything sweet. Poor sugar gets all the blame.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast