Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving up sugar... page 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A few ideas:
    Try the Whole 30 program and sign up for the daily email where you are accountable. When I gaveup sugar for 30 days, sometimes my motivation was clicking that silly link that said "I DID IT!". Is it kind of lame? Yes, but on like Day 14 when a piece of wedding cake was a huge temptation and I knew eating it was going to lead to more AND a restart of Whole 30 it worked. Without the accountability I would have been like no big deal.

Don't have sugar around. I am good about not eating sugar now, but I bought a chocolate bar for my husband that somehow made it in my tummy.

People are kind of split on eating fruit. Eating fruit helps keep me from eating non-healthy sugar. Like if I want ice cream, a banana will do. For others if they eat fruit, they want ice cream.

When do you want sugar? My sugar was very habitual. After dinner. When bored at work. It was a habit, a break. So I found new habits. I walk at work and after dinner, some days I will have fruit if I still want something.

You are on track with eating whatever else you want though.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Just try to keep everything that tempts you out of the house. Also, try to get your family in on it too. Giving up sugar is very difficult, so you could use some help from the people around you.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Zach is offline Banned
    Never try to follow a diet that is unsustainable. You are just adding major stress to your life.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Never try to follow a diet that is unsustainable. You are just adding major stress to your life.

couldn't you say similar to a crack addict

"don't give it up, it's too stressfull"

it's only until you've kicked the habit that it's a stress

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Sugar addiction can be more stressful. The weight is stressful. The energy swings. The way you can derail healthy eating really quickly.

I broke the addiction last fall and feel so much better. It was worth the two angry weeks.

OP, I highly suggest you check this out:
    The Timeline: A Day-by-Day Guide to Your Whole30 | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

When I did Whole 30, I was mainly quitting sugar and giving up dairy. The dairy was easy, but the sugar was the beast (I had eliminated grains and processed foods a while back). This timeline is about how I felt, and helps explain what is going on so you can be pre-emptive. The second week was hardest for me because I wanted novelty. So I had to get creative and get creative I did.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Zach is offline Banned
    So what, you never eat sugar again? Or after you supposedly quit being addicted to it then you can eat it again?

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Zach...I do not plan on eating sugar type treats anymore. I see the benefits of avoiding them so what's the point? It's absurd to say I'll never eat it again though.

It seems the “addiction” to sugar impacts people differently. I personally had to completely cut it out of my diet; I know many that are able to eat a little dark chocolate…I can’t.

Based upon your thread my suggestion is to cut it out completely and just take it day by day. The first few weeks were brutal, but after a month you won’t even think about it. It becomes a permanent change after you see the benefits. Also, when I gave it up I avoided anything with the “fake sugar” that would trigger cravings: diet coke, splenda, etc.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link to a journal where Tee has followed her process of giving up sugar.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    So what, you never eat sugar again? Or after you supposedly quit being addicted to it then you can eat it again?
    You probably could avoid it altogether, although that would be a little extreme (from my point of view).
    But certainly once you've gone through a brief adjustment period and the cravings die down, it's hardly stressful.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast