Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What vegetables are part of your daily diet? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

What vegetables are part of your daily diet?

Primal Fuel
    Since vegetables are such a significant part of what we need to eat, I'd like to get an idea of what vegetables everyone makes a part of their daily diet, and also, which do you eat as a cheat/guilty pleasure (perhaps due to high starch content, etc.)?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    The veggies that show up in my diet most often (though not exactly on a daily basis) are onions, spinach (or other random greens), broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and carrots. Hopefully soon I'll have a big enough supply of Brussels sprouts to make them a regular item.

My only real "treat" is sweet potatoes.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Daily/ Weekly rotation:
    lettuce
    spinach/ whatever green happened to be on sale (except collard greens. Bleh.)
    bell pepper (sever colors)
    hot peppers
    onion
    grape tomato
    green beans
    asparagus
    carrot
    cuke
    garlic (as much as I consume, it falls into veggies)
    broccoli
    beets
    radishes

Less often:
    Zukes (carb content),

once a month:
    Sweet potato
    red potato

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    None.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Onions, tomatoes and avocadoes (ok, it's a fruit) are my weekly staples. The rest (not necessarily regularly every week) are cauliflower, red cabbage, baby spinach, bell peppers, mushrooms (a fungus but whatever), and broccoli. Less frequently carrots, eggplant, beets, turnips, and spaghetti squash. Sweet potatoes maybe every 4-5 months.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Onions, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, spinach (notice they're all cheap? =P).

Others that I eat fairly often are asparagus, raw greens (esp romaine), cooked greens (collard, mustard, kale, chard), bok choy, various hot peppers, and brussels sprouts. I'm not gonna argue whether green beans or snap peas are vegetables or not, I still eat those too.

I haven't really eaten potatoes (white or sweet) since going primal, and I plan on saving them for times where there's no other option.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    A little OT but the last time I had potatoes was over the holidays when I made purple sweet potatoes I found at an Asian grocery store. They were amazing! They are very fragrant and have a roasted chestnut kind of texture. I don't know about the carb count but I figured there were lots of antioxidants in that wonderful pigment! The only downside is that a bulk of that pigment wound up on my hands...

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    I'll typically have a salad with my mid-morning meal and a big plate of steamed vegetables with at dinner. The salad will usually have 1-2 greens as the base (spinach, chard, romaine, collards, turnip), and some combination diced vegetables like cucumbers, zucchini, beets, radishes, celery, and okra depending on what I have. Dinner is typically a mix of broccoli, carrots, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and green beans, again depending on what I have. I also eat a lot of sweet potatoes, but I don't consider them a true vegetable. I avoid nightshades for the most part because I feel better when I do so.

Sherissima is offline Member
    My staples are radishes (including the greens when eating home grown produce), spinach, asparagus, avocado, broccoli, cucumber, cabbage varieties (white, red, tenderheart, Chinese, spring greens, pak choi), bell peppers, courgettes (zucchini), aubergines (eggplant), tomato, green beans and lettuce. Oh, and onions/garlic, and an occasional carrot, raw or in a stew. Rarely squash, Jerusalem artichokes and sweet potato - maybe once each since I started PB (mid January) and always with some other veggies, plus meat/fat.

I am not actually a great lover of veggies, except maybe radishes and asparagus, so I feel rather virtuous eating them every day (I know that some people do not believe plant matter is nutritious to humans, I think that phytonutrients are useful).

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Daily I typically eat a salad with 2-3 kinds of lettuce and cucumbers on it. I may also have a bowl of chicken/veggie soup which contains about a cup of mixed veggies (cauliflower, broccoil, squash, zucchini and carrots). At night we typically grill a meat and I throw a few veggies on the grill too. Usually it's squash or zucchini because those are our favs. Sometimes asparagus.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast