Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bacon will kill you!!! page 2

richnash33 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Some money quotes:

"It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke,
    be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health."
    --Yep which also played a part in death..

"But after adjusting for smoking, obesity and other confounders
    we THINK there is a risk of eating processed meat."--they THINK oh well that settles it..real scientific

But wait there's more....

Tracy Parker, a heart health dietitian with the British Heart Foundation, said the research suggested processed meat MIGHT be linked to an increased risk of early death, but those who ate more of it in the study also made "other unhealthy lifestyle choices".

"They were found to eat less fruit and vegetables and were more likely to smoke, which may have had an impact on results.

---Gee you think ?!? Seriously so this what constitutes a scientific study these days

Of course the media will take the big scary headline and run with it

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I would have been highly skeptical had I not read other studies that said the same about cured meat products in particular. Bacon falls into the category of things I rarely cook. I usually eat it only for a treat when offered to me by someone (another household member) who fixes it, AND when I am hungry. Since he normally cooks bacon for his midnight snack and I never eat at midnight, I don't eat it often.

I am more likely to eat bacon than potato chips, but neither of us eat them anymore. Heath bars? Maybe a tie if someone were offering.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The closer an animal or plant is to its original state, most likely, the more healthy it is. Curing in its many forms has been around for since as long as man noticed that salting, dehydrating, etc. made food last longer. The pigs from which the bacon comes from may be factory, pastured (or at least close to pastured), or wild. "Bacon" covers a wide range of quality.

"Bacon will kill you!!!" is barely a statement worth wondering about.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Joanie on this one. I don't know if I'd consider real bacon to be a processed meat, in the sense that conventional hot dogs or bologna are. With bacon, you still know exactly what you're getting, it still looks like pig meat, but it's been smoked and cured. Good bacon isn't cured with chemicals anyway. It's almost like calling jerky a processed meat because it's been dried.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    What about smoked bacon? I have always heard rumours that smoked meat or even fish is not good for your health for some reason, but I have been too lazy to check it up...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If that's true, I'll most likely die from the effects of too much lox.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    When confronted with this kind of crap, you must ask yourself, "What would Ron Swanson do?".

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    I'll still be eating my Bacon. 'Everything in moderation', as the old saying goes!
    http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
    ― Carl Sagan

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Don't for get to moderate your moderation and be crazy, too!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think bacon is necessarily bad for you, but I don't think it's good for you, either. It's very low in nutrients and has little antioxidant activity...it's pretty close to empty fat, so it's great for slowing or reversing weight loss with little health benefits.

However, it also tastes phenomenal and a little goes a long way. 3 or 4 bacon strips in a whole pot of chili won't add much to the caloric content per serving, but it'll add loads of flavor. I avoid bacon as a staple, but I embrace it as a topping.

In general, cured meats probably aren't as healthy as fresh meats. EXCEPT PORK. Fresh pork is IMO one of the only unhealthy meats, and I've cut my pork consumption to near zero these days. Remember, pork is so popular in America because it was so easy to cure and store before refrigeration - traditional pork consumption is generally cured, not fresh. Fresh pork, even pastured, tends to coagulate the blood similar to a virus, and many diseases that infect pigs also infect humans since our flesh is so similar. I would much rather eat ham and bacon than fresh pork chops or ribs. On the occasions you do make fresh pork, submerge it in vinegar the day before. That seems to stop to blood coagulation. Curing will also stop the coagulation process and will kill any parasites in the pork.

Here is your blood:

Here is your blood on fresh, pastured pork:

Here is your blood on fresh, pastured pork after being marinated in vinegar, completely submerged, for 24 hours:

Here is your blood on bacon:

Here is your blood on proscuitto:

Here is your blood on fresh lamb:

Pork is the one meat we probably shouldn't be eating raw and untreated. I have a conspiracy theory in my head that human bodies don't process fresh pork well because the flesh is so similar to ours that it confuses it with cannibalism...but maybe that's me being irrational and crazy. Perhaps pork contains some yet undiscovered anti-nutrient or toxin that heat does not kill but acids and curing salts do? Hmmm...

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiova...fect-the-blood
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 03-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast