Thread: Muscle Rehabilitation page

Beachman is offline Junior Member

Muscle Rehabilitation

So I've been eating Primal for about 6 months, and I live an unfortunately inactive lifestyle.

I am shrinking and not trying to.

My joints hurt, and I'm pretty sure I don't get enough protein and I'm a boney little guy, who eats a lot of fatty snack foods (nuts, dark chocolate, and veggies. Eggs and ground beef for protein, but usually not enough): 5' 10", 24 yrs old, 160-65 lbs.

How should I plan to fix this problem:

General muscular atrophy due to under-stimulation and lack of required nutrient content (protein).

(Eat more animals and exercise, duh.)

Anyone have any suggestions for Muscle Rehabilitation/starting a routine? I'm worried I'll injure myself just jumping into a routine.

tzulogic is offline Member
    I'm in a similar state to you. I do basic and light physical therapy. I go for long walks, I try to stand as much as possible. And I highly recommend you practice good posture 24/7. Honestly we are in the same boat (I might be worse off.)
    I would say stay away from the weights. Just do basic body strength exercises, light but frequent, to build up a foundation so that you dont wreck your joints. Pay attention to inflammatory foods, and try to aim for a anti-inflammatory diet.

Finally, if you have a hard time eating protein, go by some whey protein! Guzzle it!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Mark's Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book is an excellent place to start.

The three principles (in my words):
    1. Walk a lot. (3-5 hours per week)
    2. Lift heavy things (and he goes into a basic bodyweight plan)
    3. Sprint occasionally. (Once a week is good, once every two weeks could even be okay for you, but sprinting is the last thing you should add.)

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To the OP, start with light walking, preferably in a natural setting. Try to find any state parks near where you live, and walk up and down the paths - if there's an incline, even better.

Besides that, work on posture by standing as much as possible.

You could also look into low-impact activities like Tai Chai and Yoga - both would be beneficial in your case.

Nutrition wise, you know what to do. Just try to slowly implement eating more - I'd recommend whole milk (raw if you can find it) and/or coconut milk smoothies. Liquid calories are easy to down in mass amounts.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition