Thread: too much saturated fat? page

grae_bird is offline Member

too much saturated fat?

Primal Fuel
    Can one get too much saturated fat? I'm still relatively new at paleo. I am trying for a 50% caloric-intake from fat (and I'm not trying to lose weight; rather I am underweight and trying to regain gut health). I get some fat from meat and eggs; avocados; etc. HOWEVER, today the vast MAJORITY of my fat came from coconut oil, which is good... but can one overdo it? I had like 300% of my saturated fat today according to the "supposed" RDA.

Lactose-intolerance rules out butter. Nuts are high omega-6. Olive oil shouldn't be cooked. Thus, I depend a lot on coconut oil. Again, can one get TOO MUCH saturated fat?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    50% of calories from saturated fat is in no way too much.

Some might say it is ideal.

p.s. Ghee is pure butterfat, and works for the lactose intolerant among us.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

but what about the ratio of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat? I haven't quite divorced myself from the conventional health system's condemnaton of saturated fat. I know 50% caloric intake from fat isn't bad, but its the percentage of saturated fat that I am questioning.

Timthetaco Guest
    Saturated fat can really raise LDL in some people, so they need to be careful, but if you're not one of those people I don't feel it's much of a concern. However, I don't think it's a good thing you're getting most of your fat from a nutritionally empty oil. If you're looking for other cooking fats, lard is fantastic and there's also tallow, but again, you should be getting your fats along with the nutrients in animal products (and plants), not just from oil.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    It is complex, but from what I've read the worst combination is high simple carbohydrate plus high dietary saturated fat. If you don't eat much simple carbohydrate, there isn't any evidence that saturated fat in the diet is harmful. People do just fine eating 80% of their calories from fat. If you are up that high, a mix of mostly monounsaturated (like olive oil) and saturated is best. Polyunsaturated (PUFA) is really more like a vitamin than a fuel source and a couple grams of fish oil is plenty.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I agree that there's more than just coconut oil as a fat. What about eating fatty cuts of meat?

Mono-unsaturated fat is fine. Polyunsaturated fat is what you should ratchet down low, particularly O6.

Maybe this will help you? Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

All advice appreciated. still learning.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    The problem with getting fat from meat is that you have to really pay attention to quality. If you're eating fatty cuts of CAFO beef, you're probably in for a health nightmare.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Saturated fat can really raise LDL in some people, so they need to be careful, but if you're not one of those people I don't feel it's much of a concern. However, I don't think it's a good thing you're getting most of your fat from a nutritionally empty oil. If you're looking for other cooking fats, lard is fantastic and there's also tallow, but again, you should be getting your fats along with the nutrients in animal products (and plants), not just from oil.
    I agree with what you are saying Tim, especially the fact that you should be obtaining your fats from a variety of sources. I also agree that saturated fats can potentially raise LDL but in the case of coconut oil I have read it differently. Coconut oil and coconut flakes seem to promote an increase in HDL while either lowering or maintaining LDL.
    An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Coconut oil is also antimicrobial, antifungal and antiprotozoal, so it can be used therapeutically for certain conditions. I am not advocating to eat spoonfuls of coconut oil just like some people do to stay satiated. But I definitely think its one of the best cooking oils out there along with tallow and ghee.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I think it's said to be about 20% have the genotype that have their ldl and total cholesterol skyrocket after eating saturated fat. You see it on forums, most tend to have a total between 200 - 240 but then you'll see jimmy moore levels in the high 300's. I've never had my cholesterol tested and I eat a relatively lowish fat diet compared to most here, but I wouldn't be comfortable maintaining a very high cholesterol.