Thread: Elliptical for my desk job? page

Traderjodie is offline Junior Member

Elliptical for my desk job?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I spend many hours working at a desk. I have transitioned to a standing desk for most of the day but I wish I could incorporate some kind of exercise. I know that Mark suggests lots of long walks. Although I walk as much as I can, many times its not possible. Its cold where I live and I am also lugging around an 2.5 year old who really doesn't take to long walks in bad weather.

My ideal would be an under desk tread mill, but I can't find a manual machine that doesn't have large handles. I see a small elliptical advertised on Amazon that i could easily use while working at my desk. This would not be in place of other exercise, but in place of the long walks I am not able to take right now.

My question is, would this help or is it totally useless. Am I better off just standing at my desk?

Also, if anyone knows of a under desk manual tread mill without handles, I would love to find it!

-Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjodie View Post
    Hi everyone,

I spend many hours working at a desk. I have transitioned to a standing desk for most of the day but I wish I could incorporate some kind of exercise. I know that Mark suggests lots of long walks. Although I walk as much as I can, many times its not possible. Its cold where I live and I am also lugging around an 2.5 year old who really doesn't take to long walks in bad weather.

My ideal would be an under desk tread mill, but I can't find a manual machine that doesn't have large handles. I see a small elliptical advertised on Amazon that i could easily use while working at my desk. This would not be in place of other exercise, but in place of the long walks I am not able to take right now.

My question is, would this help or is it totally useless. Am I better off just standing at my desk?

Also, if anyone knows of a under desk manual tread mill without handles, I would love to find it!

-Thanks!
    even though I work for my in laws, I still cant get them on board for the whole standing/tread mill desk :l So I went to walmart.com & found a little stationary bike/set of peddals..deal? that fits under the under the desk. but its kind of loud & awkward so I just sit in the back & use it. I try to stand as much as possible & only sit at the desk when I have a customer & have to. I have no idea how many calories I'm burning or how far I "go" on it..even though the one i got does show you how many times you've made a complete spin on it..I'm sure I could find some equation online to figure it out, but I spend at least a 100 mins on it each day..I also go to a spin class 2 times a week, normally 3 walks (2 to 3 miles) & run 3 or 4 (eh..I havent ran once this week..but normally...) times about 3-5 miles a week...but I do believe that having the little bike at work has helped..it at least makes me feel less guilty for sitting around all day..

Stamina InStride Total Body Cycle 135 - Walmart.com

heres a link to the one I got. I'm sure there are better ones, but at the time that one was in my budget..not sure why I went with walmart either..but..they have a pretty big selection online.