Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a Concept 2 rower? Any comments or reviews, please? page 2

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Did a second rower workout yesterday at the Y, this time overlooking the pool so I could watch my son in the Special Olympics Swim Team practice. I did 2000m at one tension setting higher than last time, and finished in the same 12:30, so I guess that's progress? Then I started playing with the monitor and played a 4 minute fish game that required that the level of effort change to move the fish (me) up and down the screen to eat the other fish and avoid being eaten. Not sure if I liked that as much as the steady state rowing.

I an feel a slight muscle soreness tension in my shoulders this morning. What is recommended for warming up and/or stretching before or after a rowing workout?

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    I purchased a new C2 last year because I had enjoyed using one so much at CrossFit. It was simple/stupid to assemble and is made to last forever. I rationalized the purchased by looking at the price for used C2's and found that they were only slightly less than the new models. So if I got tired of it, I would only be out one or two hundred dollars.

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    Vick are you still doing john littles max pyramid training? What have been your results with it?

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I've had one for several years, use it regularly, and I like it for the same reasons that others have posted.

I also like it because I *don't* have to plug it in! It needs only my body to power it!

HayMaker is offline Junior Member
    I've had a C2 (Model D with PM3) for a number of years. I really like the ability to rerow a previous workout, basically race against yourself. I have workouts going back to 2007 so I can see how I compare to the younger me.

I pretty much stick to the 5000 meter rows, not sure I'd enjoy much more than 20 minutes on the thing. I am now combining my C2 workouts with SimpleFit and it's starting to yeild some good results. I also run and cycle so for me it's just an option for sprint type workouts. Like a PP stated, anything of a longer duration I prefer to do outdoors on something that moves (feet, bike, etc)
    The question is, are you going to die sitting on the sofa - or doing something interesting?

Got my rower. So simple to set up, only a couple of screws. Taken apart, it fit into the back of my car for the ride home from the States, and I could carry the parts into the house and down the basement by myself. Fits together almost effortlessly. So well engineered.

Can't wait to get started with it. Any suggestions for online training programs, particularly sprints? Or are there sprint workouts programmed into the PM3 monitor?

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    number one tip for using the C2

contract your abs to stabilise core as you begin the stroke and keep them contracted until you finish, then relax on the glide in

highly recommend coasting at a comfortable 22 to 24 strokes per minute and a comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort interval every couple of minutes (take longer to recover if you need)

intervals could be from 15 to 45 seconds, 20 is most common, go back to regular stroking when finished with the interval then go again when recover 2500 to 5000m would be enough, aim to bring the total time down

I use resistance setting 4 or 5 which is regarded as being most similar to rowing on water

make sure you strap feet in well

combines very well with rebounding

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
    number one tip for using the C2

contract your abs to stabilise core as you begin the stroke and keep them contracted until you finish, then relax on the glide in

highly recommend coasting at a comfortable 22 to 24 strokes per minute and a comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort interval every couple of minutes (take longer to recover if you need)

intervals could be from 15 to 45 seconds, 20 is most common, go back to regular stroking when finished with the interval then go again when recover 2500 to 5000m would be enough, aim to bring the total time down

I use resistance setting 4 or 5 which is regarded as being most similar to rowing on water

make sure you strap feet in well

combines very well with rebounding
    Thanks for all the tips, Katsuhiko. What do you mean by "comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort every couple of minutes"? Lost me on that one...

Is an interval just a much faster stroke rate? How much faster? Do you change any other variables? I currently have the resistance set at 5.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Vick are you still doing john littles max pyramid training? What have been your results with it?

Richard
    With modifications. I use just a single weight. I hold it as a static hold at the max moment until failure. It produces excellent recruitment of muscles, right to the core. It really saves the beating on the joints because you have to greatly reduce the weight.

I feel great.

If I can't make it to the gym for the row, then I use the stationary bike at home. I still follow the 6 reps of 30 seconds sprint and 30 seconds rest.

I try and follow the format of once a week weights and 3 times a week sprinting.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, Katsuhiko. What do you mean by "comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort every couple of minutes"? Lost me on that one...

Is an interval just a much faster stroke rate? How much faster? Do you change any other variables? I currently have the resistance set at 5.
    firstly let me apologise for the confusing typos

so, what I mean is imagine you are rowing down a lake at a nice comfortable rate.... stroke....1,2,3...stroke maintaining a steady SPLIT time per 500m which you can repeat several times without weakening...

maintain that comfortable rate (22 to 24 strokes per minute) but then switch to maximum effort strokes for your interval session

explode into the first stroke by contracting abs, legs and arm muscles as you pull back hard on the oar, pull the oar right into your belly... you should see your split time drop sharply, now glide in quickly but under control, and do another max effort stroke

keep this going until you hit your limit (roughly 20 but up to max 45 seconds) then return to the previous comfortable stroke rate while you recover... have about 2 to 4 mins recovery (keep rowing steadily) and then do another interval

repeat 3 to 5 times or more if you are fit enough

any questions feel free to ask or PM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast