Thread: Beginner weight training page

littlebikes is offline Junior Member

Beginner weight training

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    Not sure if there is a thread on this already. If so, please direct me to it.

In any case I just started lifting (today). I'm having some trouble knowing what to do, though, and I was hoping someone could suggest a rotation of exercises. My base fitness level is: I bike every day with weight 'cause it's how I get around, plus I do 15-30 mins of bodyweight exercises with minimal weight (less than 10lbs) 2-3 times a week. I can do one pull-up and hold a plank for about a minute.

I'm mostly interested in doing weighted squats, pull-ups, using free weights, and using the bench press. If someone could suggest a beginning weight routine that I could modify with more reps/weight as I go along, that'd be great!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Starting strength is a solid program to try but you can do a lot worse than doing one main lift per session (squat, deadlift, bench, OH press) with a couple of assistance exercises like pull ups and dips. Aim for 3 sets of 5 reps on each main lift with enough rest in between to keep the quality up. As you get stronger, add a little more weight.

Most people overcomplicate these things so this is a simple way to ease yourself in gradually.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength. (Whether you follow this program or not, the book is awesome. Includes weighted chinups as an exercise, I think)

Stronglifts 5x5, often just called Stronglifts. (This one is free, but you have to work out the form from videos and internet posts rather than a book. Comes with an app and/or an excel spreadsheet for logging. Does not incorporate pullups or chinups.)

Those programs are great for beginners, both simple and effective, and hit pretty much everything you wanted to do.