Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't shake this high blood pressure. page

karlkrass is offline Junior Member

Can't shake this high blood pressure.

Shop Now
    So I've been doing pretty well. I started a Paleo lifestyle (eating to start) ~1.5 years ago. At that time I was 51 >240lbs. and was running a blood pressure reading of ~148/90 ... and I would even see spikes of 165/95.
    Since then (now 53) I'm 187lbs (goal of 175), started a more aggressive paleo exercise program, e.g., more lifting and sprinting while tapering long, low level cardio and I'm feeling much better about life.
    However, I just came out of a checkup to find my blood pressure to still be in the 145/90 range and the doctor is considering putting me back on hbp meds (lisinopril) which I was hoping to avoid once I dropped the weight.

On asking about what I may do instead to remedy this condition he gave the patented popular answer:
    1) Eat lots of whole grains and vegetables,
    2) Eat lower-fat food products (including milk products),
    3) Avoid salt, alcohol, red meat, saturated fats.

After explaining that most of what he recommended was the primary cause of me becoming obese, he still held the fact that I had hbp despite my physical improvements.

I can see cutting out salt and alcohol (which I've cut way back on anyway), but the rest of the items I'm just not comfortable with. I guess I will need to rely on the medication but this doesn't sit well with me either.

There's no history of this condition in my family, in fact low BP has been more of a problem, so I'm not sure which way to go on this.

thanks for listening,
    Karl

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    See if you can find someone else to check your Blood Pressure. Preferably someone you are comfortable with so you can help rule out white coat syndrome. If you have friends or family who know how, or a nearby pharmacy. Some fire departments offer free b/p checks also. Also give your more aggressive exercise program some time. I have seen people bring down their pressures that way.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karlkrass View Post
    I can see cutting out salt and alcohol (which I've cut way back on anyway), but the rest of the items I'm just not comfortable with. I guess I will need to rely on the medication but this doesn't sit well with me either.
    I totally agree. Cutting out salt and alcohol and maybe lowering the carbs can all help lower your blood pressure.

That's about it for diet though. The other changes I would make would be environmental. Are you getting enough rest? Are you comfortable and relaxed when the blood pressure reading is taken? How much stress do you have in your life? How much sleep do you get?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Can you post a detailed account of a typical days food? You may need to cut back on some things or add in others.

Go see a naturopath or chinese med doc. They'll be able to figure out if you need supplemental support or herbs. If you post your region, I may be able to find a referral. I bet you have other symptoms that you just live with or aren't considered a big deal in conventional medicine.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    This is going to sound strange but it's a very old and long used method to reduce blood pressure:

1. Eat at least 5 full stalks of celery every day for a week.
    2. The next weak eat no celery.
    3. keep alternating weeks.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-06-2013 at 05:30 PM.

jkr
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    This is going to sound strange but it's a very old and long used method to reduce blood pressure:

1. Eat at least 5 full stalks of celery every day for a week.
    2. The next weak eat no celery.
    3. keep alternating weeks.
    I was actually going to suggest celery but thought it would be too weird. It is a common Chinese medicine remedy when used in conjunction with herbs.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium supplementation should help. Most of us are deficient in it anyway.

I would try this before dropping your salt intake.

400-600 mg Magnesium Glycinate (or Citrate, if you have any constipation) before bed. Get capsules, not tablets.

Magnesium Benefits Your Blood Pressure

The Magnesium Solution for High Blood Pressure: Jay S. Cohen: 9780757002557: Amazon.com: Books

jkr
    I will second this, plus adding trace minerals.

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Any pre-diabetes or family history of type 2?

Any organ problems, endocrine gland issues?

Sleep apnea?

Any history of cardiovascular disease, family history of?

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Make sure that you ingest no "sodium chloride" (the regular salt/sodium used in all processed foods)... use only real sea salt/pink sea salt/grey sea salt. "Natural Calm" (magnesium supplement) works well, too.

I cannot, personally, use any alcohol at all, as it buggers up the BP immediately. My ND has me also taking celery seed extract and L-Arginine to keep my BP on the lower side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast