Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't shake this high blood pressure. page 2

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    B/P: Cuff goes on your arm over bare skin. Sit and relax: tv, book, somesuch---for 15 minutes. The arm with the b/p cuff should rest on the table. Take it then. Most MD's take your pressure when you are running around and anxious.

No caffeine, lots of veggies, supplement mag and potassium.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium and potassium fixed my BP. It was 155/90-ish and now it's almost always around 130/65-ish. Didn't really change anything else. Even though I still regularly eat salty food like bacon and sauerkraut, the balance is there.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Someone has probably already suggested this, but yoga and deep breathing have been known to help BP, in addition to the primal diet. Getting outside more, spending time in nature, getting your feet in the dirt, and cutting as much stress as possible should help.

(I had high BP and now it's so "super-normal" my husband occasionally asks me if I'm alive! Usually below 120/60-ish. )
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Tider is offline Junior Member
    Hey Karl - I know this thread is over a year old, so hopefully you have solved the problem by now. The advice from other posters is good. But just in case, let me suggest another possibility: Have your doc check your aldosterone level via an aldosterone/renin blood test.

I had the same sort of BP problem for years, and it would always spike after certain kinds of workouts and would stay elevated for weeks. I was taking 2 kinds of BP meds, and they worked OK as long as I stuck to relatively low level routines. But anything even remotely innovative would send my BP into orbit for a month. I won't bore you with the details, but the standard advice (don't smoke, don't use too much salt, get rid of the stress etc.) didn't do a thing. Well, it turns out that aldosterone, which is a hormone your adrenal glands produce, can cause BP to spike, and one thing that can cause your body to over-produce aldosterone is strenuous exercise. I just had the aldosterone test done last week and will see my doc next week to get the results. But in the meantime, my doc switched me from altace (which apparently can interfere with the aldosterone/renin test) to "bystolic", and it has done wonders. I'm doing workouts now that I have been afraid to do for years. I did a little research and found that one of the things that bystolic does is that it suppresses aldosterone. I'm not sure my doc even had that in mind when he prescribed the bystolic for me, he just wanted something to replace the altace while we did the blood test. But I'm 99% sure that the aldosterone is the culprit in my case. And like I said I will hopefully get a definitive answer next week.

Another thing that can lead to too much aldosterone is an adrenal tumor (almost always benign), which can be removed surgically. This is very unlikely in my case because my BP would always come back down after a few weeks when I reverted to my normal, lower level workouts. If the culprit was a tumor, my BP problem would not get better, it would keep getting worse.

Now if aldosterone is also your problem and you want to keep working out intensely, you probably will need to take a med to block or suppress it. Bystolic has worked well for me, but there are others (inspra is an aldosterone blocker that apparently works well). You should discuss this with your doc. Personally, I would rather be able to do sprint and strength workouts, so if I can keep my aldosterone level low safely and with no or minimal side effects, that is my preference. The only change I have noticed with bystolic is a somewhat slower HR when I'm doing cardio workouts on my bike. But just for day to day activity, my HR has slowed very little, if at all (it was already fairly low due to the cardio workouts I have been doing for years). But again, you should discuss all this with your doc to see what makes sense for you.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Tider; 07-07-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12