Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian turned butcher

In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Vegetarian turned butcher

Shop Now
    I know I've posted about hunting before...here's a little background on how much I've changed over the course of a decade!
    Vegetarian Turned Butcher! | the woodsy gal
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

A gal with her own meat saw! That is so hot.

Sweet...thanks! It is way better than the old saw I was using...

i was a vege for over 20 yrs. i can shoot, skin and butcher a deer now. the generic principle is the same with pigs and goats and sheep too. i think having been a vege you have more of a healthy attitude to it. i know if i am eating meat, i am responsible for the animal being killed. so i may as well shoot it myself. i have always loved knives and having a sharp knife is really the key to butchery. no meat saw as of yet but i use a meat cleaver and a hammer to cut bones in half. or take it to someone with a saw. or if you cut the tendons holding the joints in the right place you can knife them eat twist them off quite easily.

I have a total girl crush on butchers. If I hadn't become a publisher, I'd have become a butcher. Now I'm just friends with all of them :-) #meatgeeks

A very good skill to have!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

shooting them is next seaweed...but right now it's more division of labor...he hunts and I butcher!

the first thing i shot was hard. i had to shoot it point blank range in the back of the head as it was sick. it was a possum. i could have left it but i really dont like seeing things suffer. i had to ring my mate and ask which bit to shoot to get it right. even tho i can shoot deer and pigs in the wild, i still find it hard to execute things at close range. i dont mind the blood. or the guts. or stuff like the eye balls popping out when you shoot them in the head so i dont know why i struggle. the last rabbit i shot, was half paralysed on the road and it was horrid. i went home and got the gun and shot it. that was nasty compared to getting a deer. there is some prize at the end of the rope there and i can eat them and they taste good. deer are pests in my country too, as are pigs.

oh and i would go along hunting anyways for the bush bash. i just started out carrying the gun to be helpful LOL. i go pig hunting with the guys with the dogs and they always stick the pigs. i have a great time running around the bush with them and always enjoy going out.

Shop Now
    I think I could shoot the animal but am more concerned if I didn't get a good shot on a deer and ended up wounding it. Hubby is a great shot and drops them with nearly no need to track. I do think it would be harder to kill a pig that we've raised...but that is on my future list.