Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal weight page

la_chica is offline Junior Member

Ideal weight

Primal Fuel
    I'm new, don't know if this is the best place to post, but anyway...

I've been thinking about it for awhile now, and the post today about not losing weight adresses my issue.

Over the past year, I've lost 30 pounds by following a low-carb diet, integrating powerlifting into my exercise, and doing regular cardio. I'm at around 175 pounds (female, 180 cm or 5ft 11in), which is my "normal" weight other than two periods of weight gain when I was very unhappy.

I eat a very primal diet now, do 4-5 hours of cardio a week, weightlift twice a week, and just started doing regular sprints. Still, the only way I can seem to break 175 is through serious caloric restriction.

At 175, I am in great shape and very, very healthy. I rarely get sick, sleep well, and take care of my stress levels. But I still would like to lose some more weight. I have a very hourglass or pear shape with heavy thighs and legs. Is is worth it to restrict myself to lose the weight or should I be happy where I am?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Well sounds to me like you should be happy where you are.
    If you feel good, and happy with how you look, then why push it?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If you push through it, the chances are you will have to keep pushing to keep at it, and keep increasing your efforts, or it will roll back. That what happened to me. After 3 years I thew the towel, and now watch the weight to just come back up. I did not decrease exerciser load, just started eating more (and more enjoyable foods) so I sleep at night and don't spend days daydreaming about food and becoming a bitch about everything because I am hungry. Plus, now, in addition to feeling like a fat cow, I feel like a big fat failure because I have almost gotten "there". I could never reach my goal - I was always too big on the thigh- and now I am going farther and farther away, and it is very hard.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Post some photos. You may be surprised at how positive are the responses
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I do think our bodies tend to make it REALLY tough to get below where we ought to be. That's going to mean some fat on your body, especially as a woman, and your genetics are going to have the final say over where that goes. Other than belly fat, which tends to be associated with excess carbs, you are hwo you were born.

As much as I would like to have boobs and some semblance of an ass, I don't. It's just genetics, and I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to make it any different.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    As much as I would like to have boobs and some semblance of an ass, I don't. It's just genetics, and I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to make it any different.
    I was reading something (can't remember where) that said that O6 fat tended towards abdominal fat, and O3 fat tended towards boobs and bum. Do you like fish?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I was reading something (can't remember where) that said that O6 fat tended towards abdominal fat, and O3 fat tended towards boobs and bum. Do you like fish?
    I'd have to eat an entire school of fish to give myself boobs and a butt!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by la_chica View Post
    I'm new, don't know if this is the best place to post, but anyway...

I've been thinking about it for awhile now, and the post today about not losing weight adresses my issue.

Over the past year, I've lost 30 pounds by following a low-carb diet, integrating powerlifting into my exercise, and doing regular cardio. I'm at around 175 pounds (female, 180 cm or 5ft 11in), which is my "normal" weight other than two periods of weight gain when I was very unhappy.

I eat a very primal diet now, do 4-5 hours of cardio a week, weightlift twice a week, and just started doing regular sprints. Still, the only way I can seem to break 175 is through serious caloric restriction.

At 175, I am in great shape and very, very healthy. I rarely get sick, sleep well, and take care of my stress levels. But I still would like to lose some more weight. I have a very hourglass or pear shape with heavy thighs and legs. Is is worth it to restrict myself to lose the weight or should I be happy where I am?
    Congrats on your weight loss success and your health and fitness achievements. Given your level of exercise and weight training you possibly have both less fat and more muscle than when you were previously at this weight. You sound in wonderful condition and your weight is within recommended levels. Do your clothes fit nicely? I think that is way more relevant than the number on the scale.

I am way shorter than you so I cannot easily imagine the actual figures, but I do know that weight does not tell the whole story. For example, I weigh the same now as I did at 17 but my body composition is certainly not the same.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Your body's ideal weight and what your mind wants your ideal weight to be may not be the same.

When I was losing weight in my CW days, I had this glorifying number of 135 pounds in my head. I knew I had to get there, and I did... but it didn't last long. Looking back at myself at that weight, I look way too thin and not like myself. 135 pounds for my height (5'6") is right smack dab in the middle-high end of the "ideal" range, but it just didn't look right on me.

Now, I'd like to lose 5 pounds to get back to the 135-137 range, but I'm now trying to focus on body fat % instead, which I firmly believe that for everyone is the most important number to look at reducing.

So, what I'm getting at is that you're probably just fine where you are; you said it yourself! You feel good, you're sleeping well... don't fix it if it ain't broke!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

la_chica is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all your responses. I only want to lose weight because I think I look heavy in the thighs, but it could be that I focus on that, similar to the way someone focuses on a blemish on their face that no one else sees.

I actually think my body composition is pretty similar to what it was when I was 175 in the past, I have always been very active and athletic.

Instinctively, I feel that getting and staying below 175 will require ongoing caloric restriction and I know I can't manage that. That said, as I get more into primal I have been making new changes like less peanut butter, adding sprinting into my workout, etc.

Too bad I can't go full primal and hardly wear any clothes It's mostly legwear that makes me conscious of my thighs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast