Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal weight page 2

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Hi Chica
    Sounds like your healthy lifestyle is working great for you. It might take some experimenting now to discover which style of legwear flatters you the best. Have fun with that.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You are letting ONE unit of measurement (the scale) to negate every other positive measurement and result.

Ditch the scale.

Attention Scale Addicts! | Everyday Paleo

Attention Scale Addicts, part 2 | Everyday Paleo
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Little Women is offline Member
    There was a recent article (MSM, what can you do?) which discussed a review of many studies of optimal weight. (Iirc, there were over 200 studies reviewed by the CDC.) The results of this review surprised the researchers--they found that people who were overweight or even in the first level of obesity were healthier and lived longer than people of "normal" weight. When I looked up my own height, 5'10", this would be anywhere up to 230 pounds for a woman!!! Not that I want to weigh that much! But in terms of health itself, I think 175-180 lbs for a person who is 5'11" is not necessarily unhealthy, depending on what that weight is made of.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'6" and currently 142 lbs. my lowest weight was 128 and even though should just fine for a woman of my height, it was too skinny, to the point where people would make comments. I'm perfectly healthy where I am - I have a lot of curve, made curvier by squats, lunges and yoga, but would like to get down to 135. I recognize that the last 7-10 lbs I want to lose are strictly vanity pounds because I easily maintain where I am. But, it took a while for that to happen. I lost 35 lbs straight off, then felt like I was stuck at 155 for the longest time. So I tried a few tricks, the infamous potato diet (source of much praise and scorn), and lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. I carefully started eating my regular diet, making sure not over-indulge in anything for a few weeks. And the weight loss held.

It seemed like once my body got accustomed to the weight loss, I could then maintain at 147 like I had been maintaining at 155. After staying there for a while, I just focused on eating well, sleeping well and switched up my exercise, adding back in racquetball. I lost another 5lbs and am maintaining fine, even with some nights of drinking and eating too much. It always dens back out if I'm careful. I think my body is happy here, though, so that last trek to 135 would probably require restriction and then I'd creep up again if not careful.

I'm finding I don't care as much about those last vanity pounds anymore, though. I like the strength weightlifting has given me and no one is complaining about the curves. It might be that this is actually the healthy weight for me. I've got muscle and tone, and I can pretty much eat what I like, though its 90-95% primal.

Heth is offline Member
    I store my excess fat on my thighs too so I do empathise. But I do agree with Zanna that those last few pounds are 'vanity pounds'. There's nothing wrong with striving for a more toned looking body but for now you are probably healthy looking to just about everyone else.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Seow is offline Junior Member
    I think being fit, strong and healthy is most important - and looking good is normally a natural consequence of this. But sometimes it could also be a hormonal balance thing. Being a guy I worry about aromatising testosterone to estrogen and try to lift heavy once in a way to boost testosterone response. I do not know what the protocols for women seeking to re-balance the estrogen levels are, but perhaps that is one area to begin researching as well? Check thyroid as well.

Also, instead of just plain caloric restriction maybe consider intermittent fasting?

On the other hand, society today does have warped idea of what bodies should look like so perhaps don't be too bothered by what others think. But I do agree with one of the posts - be more concerned with body composition (percentage body fat) than just weight.

All the best!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    My understanding is that a lot of our hormonal problem is due to taking artificial hormones. I do not know about the OP, but I am hoping to be off the artificial hormones in a few months, and then we'll see. I do not expect dramatic changes, but maybe weight won't be so crazy.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

la_chica is offline Junior Member
    I don't think I am letting the scale dictate what I do with my body, it happens to be an easily reference-able way to quantify my size. The number 175 isn't the big deal, really what bothers me is the size of my thighs when I am in the saddle.

I would like to do a body comp test. I don't think it's hormonal or thyroid.

I agree, any additional weight is vanity weight. I'm also not stressing about it and will continue my current eating/exercise habits. I seriously have never been so healthy or happy as I am now. I just started with the lower-level cardio, sprinting, cleaning up my diet even more (abandoning my love, peanut butter), and IF. So if those things make a difference, great, and if not, that's great too.

la_chica is offline Junior Member
    I don't think I am letting the scale dictate what I do with my body, it happens to be an easily reference-able way to quantify my size. The number 175 isn't the big deal, really what bothers me is the size of my thighs when I am in the saddle.

I would like to do a body comp test. I don't think it's hormonal or thyroid.

I agree, any additional weight is vanity weight. I'm also not stressing about it and will continue my current eating/exercise habits. I seriously have never been so healthy or happy as I am now. I just started with the lower-level cardio, sprinting, cleaning up my diet even more (abandoning my love, peanut butter), and IF. So if those things make a difference, great, and if not, that's great too.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know it's a point of reference, the number on the scale, but it isn't an accurate one.

I have to admit that I'm a different shape to you (more apple than pear) but I've seen a noticeable difference in the size of my legs since I started doing heavy squats and lunges.

I think you said you already powerlift - have a look at what you're doing...if you're neglecting lower body a little then it should be easy to correct, or if you're not then perhaps you could just take a short period to focus on lower body and see if it helps?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast